Spanking your children?

i was told it is still leagal to spank your children but it must be on the bottom with your hand only. What do you think of spanking your children and how should you discipline them in public?

aggheff08

Asked by aggheff08 at 8:08 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• Well, in all states it is different! In GA it is legal, to spank children on the butt with hand, belt, or switch! In missouri, only the hand, and also in GA, they still do corporal punishment in school! You have to sign a permission slip to allow the school to paddle your child! I didtnt sign! We do spank, and not often, but if nessacary, I think that spanking in public is oklay! I would rather a parent spank than have a child pulling down clothing racks...etc.!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:11 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• It varies from state to state. In PA you are legally permitted to spank anywhere and you can use things like paddles as long as it doesn't cause busing or long term damage.

Now, what are MY views? I believe in spanking and think that I would ALWAYS prefer see someone spank in public than allow their child to run crazy through the store... Now, as for using a hand vs something else. I only believe in using a hand because anything else can easily get out of hand as you don't feel what they are feeling... And I'm not really sure I consider it spanking if it's not done on their butt...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:15 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• My mother always taught me that things done in public can and should be dealt with in public...and I've grown to agree with that more and more as I've gotten older and been put in different situations. I'd def. spank mine in public! I can't stand those women in the store, who keep telling their kids to "be quiet" or to "settle down" and then don't enforce what they say.
    DereksBabyMomma

Answer by DereksBabyMomma at 8:19 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I spank my kids ,only on the butt though& only after i have asked them many times to either behave or when i know that they can hear me but refuse to listen.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 8:23 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• When my children were little we did spank, hand to butt or hand to hand, however it was really rare. I only used that type of punishment in the event of serious injury to self - like trying to touch a hot stove, or grabbing knife of the counter or running out to the street kind of stuff. We used time outs but mostly we just used the distraction method, taking their focus from the inappropriate activity to a more appropriate one, but I never sweat the small stuff either, my kids were allowed to jump on furniture and their beds, they were allowed to make messes. I can't recall a time in public when I swatted them, I've left a store, walked them into the bathroom to talk to them or left them to throw their fit in the aisle by themselves is typically how I handled it.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 8:24 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I didn't know there were rules to spanking and laws about it at all. We don't spank except once in a blue moon and then I end up crying lol
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 8:26 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I would never spank my kids in public! You run the risk of being called an abuser. I rarely spank as it is. We try other methods. But I am not opposed to a spanking if it doesnt cross the line. I was spanked as a kid, but not that often. I turned out fine, and I dont think it's child abuse- it is a form of discipline. In my opinion, more kids are in need of some good old-fashioned discipline!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:28 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• spanking is one thing..abuse is another. A spank isnt supposed to make your child cry in extreme pain....i dont spank unless its a last resort. And even then its just a little swat to catch his attention. It shouldnt be illegal imo.
    DelaneyD

Answer by DelaneyD at 8:34 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I think spanking is extreme and if the situation warrants it, a person should be leaving that public place immediately!
    TwinkleLu

Answer by TwinkleLu at 8:45 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• More often than not, I see kids who were being rotten in public get spanked and then they become screaming melt down monsters. The post spanking mayhem is louder and more disruptive than the rotten behavior they got in trouble for. And then everyone is looking at the parent like she is a three eyed witch/ abuser.

For toddlers, they are pretty easily redirected. One of the most common in-public fits is the "I want that" fit. My mom told us before we went to the grocery store with her that we got to pick out our own cereal or veggie that was just special to us and we didn't have to share. BUT we had to carry it through the whole store. A 3 year old with a jar of pickles is really occupied with lugging the pickles. No fit.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:47 PM on Sep. 16, 2010