vaccinating for healthcare field, ect.

I know this is a odd question because probably you had no choice because it was up to your parents. but this more about healtcare workers or someone in that line of field that needes certain vaccines in order to work in that environments. For example i am entering healthcare and i need my tb shots and hep B and made sure to have all my up to date vaccines. i had to give proof. now if you don't vaccinate your children would you do all those vaccines or just fine another career path. btw i am vaccinating mom. 100% agree in vaccinating.
thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:20 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Health

• I'm not in a field where it is "required" but what I wanted to add here was I know a nurse, an EMT, a Teacher and even a doctor who refuse vaccines even though it's "required" by their field... EVERY field has ways around vaccines, you simply have to know how to get around them... I even know people in the military who refused vaccines...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:24 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• i think you get tested for tb.... not vaccinated against it. last year my hubby's hospital even required that they all get the h1n1 and seasonal flu shots too. i think it's a good idea, but then again i vaccinate my children too. i see absolutely no reason why i wouldn't
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:25 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• So are you saying you don't want your vaccines? I am kind of confused. If you have reasons not to take them, start with the school. I am perplexed.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 8:26 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• oh yeah sorry yes i meant tested for tb. but they did make me get the records of all my other vaccines and this is just for school. i was just curious because at my school is mandatory if you didn;t get your vaccine recordds you did not get into this program and they only take 15 so a chance to get into a really competative program is worth it. how did they get around the military. that is weird.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:31 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• When you first sign up for the armed services you have a 1 chance waiver you can sign to refuse vaccines, certain medical treatments, and to be used as a test subject for training purposes and stuff like that.

My mom only partially vaccinated us. My sister is working on an MD/ PhD. She had to get her boosters and her flu shots to be allowed to do rotation in the hospital. She's pro-vaxing and thinks our mom is insane anyway. She probably would have had the extra shots anyway.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:35 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• if i could not waive the vaccines, then i would find another career, or alternative place to work...private nurse, private dr. self employed or private contractor.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:38 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• The hospital I'm affiliated with told all employees get the H1N1 vax... or you have to wear a mask the whole flu season. There were a lot of masked employees! I was happy I don't actually work on site or I'd be waring the mask b/c I'm not doing the Flu shots, never have, never will. ( but my family is fully vax'ed for other illnesses, just not seasonal ones)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 10:08 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I was a nurse, I got the vaccines. There's enough drama in the nursing field without adding in the vax issue. And since your program is so competitive I personally wouldn't cause waves.
    smileyashmommy

Answer by smileyashmommy at 9:39 AM on Sep. 17, 2010