Breastfeeding & Inverted nipples

I have a friend that tried breast feeding for a week and ended up quiting because her baby couldn't get a good latch.

I'm super freaked out now since I am determined to breastfeed but have inverted nipples as well.
I know there are "nipple sheilds" for woman with this problem but when I contacted a lactation consultent she didn't recommened them at all.

Would love to here if anyone has had this problem... and if you were able to be succesful? tips? tricks?

FITmama2B

Asked by FITmama2B at 8:20 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i had them when i had my first child. i used the shells (i think they're shells.... not shields. i am pretty sure shields are what you put in your bra to prevent leakage and so your nipples won't show through your shirt. i could be wrong though lol). they gave them to me in the hospital (by a lactation consultant btw) and they worked like a charm. they were 'normal' before we left the hospital. and they have stayed normal too
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:23 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• i had to use a nipple shield the hospital supplied one to me and it worked out great! i ended up running out of shields and had do the pump i would pump and bottle feed but since they were inverted i couldnt get a eletric pump to latch on had to use a hand held one more time consumeing and didnt get the bonding i had wanted with breastfeeding but my daughter still got my breast milk and thats all that really matters in the end
    aggheff08

Answer by aggheff08 at 8:24 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I didnt have inverted nipples but babies sometime have a hard time in general to latching on some babies have a shortened piece of skin under the tongue which results into poor latching. My first born took him 2 weeks to get the hang of it and my poor nipples went through some serious brutal pain but it was all worth it in the end.. My 2nd born he was a pro latched on as soon as he was born and he is 2 now and still wants the boob lol which he hasnt had since 14 months ... & now the new baby we will be having him soon and see whats in store with breastfeeding him!! But dont give up and dont worry
    renee50

Answer by renee50 at 8:26 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I didn't have this issue... However I just got a free ebook about herbs and breastfeeding and it was covered in there...

Here's the link for the book...
    http://www.earthmamaangelbaby.com/herbs-for-breastfeeding-ebook

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:28 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• My good friend has inverted nipples and she is successfully breastfeeding her third baby now and she uses a nipple shield.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 8:29 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I have totally flat nipples. So flat that even though we are successfully BFing, they go completely flat after each nursing session.

I tried one of the shields. it will help pull your nipple out. But DD wouldn't latch to it.

I squeezed up a drop of milk and put DD's face next to it. She turned and latched. She didn't do it right away. But by day 3 we were champions!

You CAN do it!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:31 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:33 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I don't have inverted nipples, but one thing I have heard is like the ladies above have said, use the shells/shields for a few days and that will pull your nipples out. Lanisoh also makes something called latch assist that will pull your nipples out so your baby can latch. Babies r us and wal mart carry it. It's basically a little suction bulb.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 8:38 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• thanks everyone... I will use the shells as a LAST RESORT... the article above as well as the lady who taught my breastfeeding class stated that if the shells are used to much the baby gets to use to them and will not latch on without them. So I guess i'm just gonna have to try and try and cross my fingers my little ones get the hang of it =)
    FITmama2B

Comment by FITmama2B (original poster) at 8:44 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I got a Lansinoh Latch Assist. It worked MIRACLES! And it was really simple and painless. I also used my breast pump before that to draw the nipple out some.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:32 PM on Sep. 16, 2010