How do you deal with your daughters middle school drama?

Her friend has hurt her feelings by dating a guy she likes. What do you think I should do for or recommend to her?

KARRIEMARIE

Asked by KARRIEMARIE at 8:24 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Well tell her this is way to sort out her real friends from the non real ones.

Answer by older at 8:31 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• She's in hs now, but when see was in ms I only got involved if it was harming to her or someone else...Normally what is drama to them today will be old news to them tomorrow
    sam223

Answer by sam223 at 8:30 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• When my daughter started middle school this year I pulled her an all her friends aside an told them flat out! Who ever sees him 1st or talks to him1st thats means he theirs! an that hes off limits from then on! Its really worked for them! You have to teach them boundaries cuz their gettin those feelings that we all remember having you know the ones that made us screw are friends over for the hot guy that made us feel hot!!! then he dumps ya an your left with no friends It didnt happen to me but to a few of my friends it did! Bottom line is their gona have have boyfriends whether we like it or not! But we need to teach them the boundries so that they dont loose friends an so their not labeled slutty, we all remember how cruel this age can be so et allher friends together an take votes on what they all think is fair! an if anyone breaks the rules then they have to answer to YOU!!!!!!!
    boobies321

Answer by boobies321 at 12:21 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Drink alot, lol! They are such drama queens-I pity U!
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 1:34 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Thanks ladies. I think you are right.
    KARRIEMARIE

Comment by KARRIEMARIE (original poster) at 8:34 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• When I was in 7th grade my best friend and I fought over a boy. 3 months later it was a big joke to both of us. She will figure it out. It's a good lesson on the saying He's just not that into you.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 8:35 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• This is how you find out who is true and who isn't.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 7:26 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My daughter is in 8th grade. In her circle of friends there have been many fights over boys. In fact , one of my daughter's friends is going out with her former "boyfriend". My daughter could care less. I don't think she really liked the boy. The one thing I have noticed is they don't seem to live by the rule that you don't "go out" with your friend's former boyfriends. The best advice you can give her is if she has two friends who are fighting then she should stay out of it.. My daughter's bff is mad at a different girl each week and my daughter just stays out of it. GOOD LUCK!
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 8:08 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• DO NOT BUY INTO THE DRAMA!!!!

You have to help her get a good strong mind set. I have always explained to my daughter that middle school and high school is a training ground for REAL life. You have to set the ground rules NOW... you have to practice GOOD judgment NOW. It is the way you train your brain and emotions for REAL life... grown up life. If you start buying into the drama now you will grow up always buying into the drama.

It is like an athlete training for the olympics. The athlete MUST train correctly so that he has muscle memory when it comes time for the real race. If she buys into it now and gets hung up on a drama filled life then when it comes to REAL life she will get board unless it is drama filled. Then she will end up like some of the ding bats on this site!

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 12:02 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Tell her that she needs to let people know NOW how to treat her. She needs to tell the girl that at this age friends should come before boys and that she will not consider her a friend if she goes behind her back and does these things... and you daughter must follow through. AND if this boy comes sniffing around later down the road she needs to tell him too that what he did was unacceptable... that he KNEW they were friends.

I know this sounds a bit on the "grown up" side but it is the exact advice I have given my 15 yr old and she followed it. Im proud to say that as a sophomore she has VERY VERY little drama and TONS of friends. She set the tone early on and she knows that the friends she has surround herself with are GOOD people.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 12:05 PM on Sep. 18, 2010