How many of you waited?

I have always been told and read that you should wait till your child is 1 year before given them whole milk. I am constantly hearing people say they are giving it before that 1st B-day. Should i stick to waiting or give it a go? My son is 10 months old now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 PM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think I'm going to wait. My kid is 9 months now and I want him to get the benefits of the DHA and other vitamins that are in the formula. Whole milk doesn't have that stuff. Regardless, if my doc tells me different, that's what I'll do. I have heard about giving half water-half whole milk occasionally in the last month to help the baby in tolerating the switch? Ask the doctor...that's the way to go....I think the health care professional would know best on this one. =)
    amandallamas

Answer by amandallamas at 11:51 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Before one year, I have heard the intestines cannot handle the whole milk, so it is best to wait. We plan on waiting until one year. She is 8 months now.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:56 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• My daughter just turned one about a week ago and I started adding 2oz of whole milk in with her bottles about 3 weeks before she turned on, so she would start to get the taste of it and each week I added more milk up to 4oz and finally 6 oz and now she takes whole milk by itself. My daughter is really picky so I figured mixing it in and finally giving it to her helped her transition.
    Whoistheboss

Answer by Whoistheboss at 11:58 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• well my son was born a month early and he is 10 months old right now and when he turns a year i am going to do everyother bottle whole milk and the next step formula so i know that he gets all that he needs semce he was born at 36 weeks.
    ashleejo

Answer by ashleejo at 12:07 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Definitely, wait till he is over one. The longer you wait to give him dairy and any other solids the less likely he will to develop any food allergies. Babies under one cannot handle solids other than baby foods because their intestines aren't fully developed. So, yes please stick to waiting as long as possible. It will be better for your baby....Trust me!

Cindrella72

Answer by Cindrella72 at 12:14 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Yes they say one but when my kids were 9-10 months i started to give them whole milk and all 3 of them are fine my kids have always done alot better on the advice my great grandma gives than the doctors, thats just my opinion alot of mothers totally stick to the books I just choose not to always!! like my babies always were started on cereal at like 2 months and they said never b4 6 months so just do what you think try giving the baby whole milk and if he handles it well like his bowel movments are normal and everything id say he would be fine!! your baby your choice do what you feel is right!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 12:47 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• My first I gave milk to about 10 months, My second was about 15 mo. milk did not agree with her right away.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 1:58 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• my first son started drinking whole milk at 9 or 10 months because WIC said he was too thin so we thought it would help increase his weight but he also had all his teeth by then and was eating regular food too :) Our second son is 8 months now and I've let him try whole milk here and there but because he only has 2 teeth in right now I'm sticking to formula because he's getting all of his nutrition form that :) Talk with your Dr and make the decition from there. I hope my experiance helped or at least gave you a different look at it :) LOL
    Leauna
    Leauna

Answer by Leauna at 2:51 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I started after 1 to do the transition from formula (yeah I quit bf around 10 months sorry!).
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 4:11 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I had started the transition to milk at 10 months and at 11 months they were on milk. I agree with the poster about listening to her grandma instead of the doctor. I listen to my grandma and she gives me a lot better advise than my doctor most of the time.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 7:00 AM on Oct. 18, 2008