IF u spank and think it works better then time out; why do u think it works so well? is it the pain factor?

my son is sometimes out of control.. im really not a fan of spanking. but im starting to consider it. bc the timeouts dont really work. and im wondering.. what is it abt spanking that works.. is it the pain factor.. is it the fact the child will then fear the parent. if u believe in spanking why do u think it works...
thank you!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think in SOME instances it works better and in others it doesn't... I spank, but I also use timeouts, corner time and other things. I think when discipline tactics are used in conjunction with one another they work best. You simply have to find what is best for you and your child and go with it. My children are spanked, and I can tell you they FAR from fear me!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:35 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• to tell u the truth, i spank my son n it doesnt work much, he still does what he is not suppose to do, i guess i spank because i get so stressed out n that is my last option i guess, i have been putting him to bed whenever he acts out , it works better than spanking, im still trying to figure out what to do in public, i do take him aside & in a very angry tone i let him know that he better act right ,i t works for a few mins then back to acting out in public again.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 8:36 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I wanted to add that for me, spanking isn't about causing pain usually - although I do make sure they feel pain when I'm punishing something like playing with the stove because I want them to understand that THAT action causes pain - But in general spanking hurts their pride more than their butt.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:37 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• its the oain factor kids know pain they know things that are hot will hurt them or things that are sharp will give them boo boos so by spanking they know its going to hurt when you say im going to give you a spanking they know eaither settle down or pain is coming no one likes pain this is an opinon but sounds good i wasent up for the spanking but i was at my wits end with my toddler i now spank and it has worked every since i spank after i tell her 2 times to stop if she dosent she gets a spanking and i sit her on the couch and make her sit there untill she quits crying and then shes free to go and iv been doing this now for about 3 months and wont have it any other way!!
    aggheff08

Answer by aggheff08 at 8:39 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I do both, Spanking is the last straw at my house. For John its embarssement. He hates being spanked, He knows hes gone to far if my hand goes across that bottom. Over the past few months he's stopped getting spanked as much, but he knows If I tell him to stop, he better stop.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 8:42 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• People will tell you to never hit out of anger because it does not help, and it teaches your children that hitting is ok. I have spanked; I try not to do it now, but there are times when I get frustrated and end up spanking. When a parent does spank, it is because they are at their wits end, and let their children's behavior get the best of them, and they spank. The only reason they do it is because they are angry and frustrated. Parents will tell you something different, but the truth is, spanking is not done with a calm, rash head. If you feel there is no other way to get to your child, then you discipline as you see necessary. That is a personal decision, but I think there are other methods. We have reward systems, and money is usually not exchanged in the rewards.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 8:49 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• we use a mix of both. we dont have to make it hurt for her to cry and stop the bad behavior. it really depends on her mood which one works better, we do a time out first and if it doesnt work then she gets a spanking.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:21 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I will admit I "pop" a leg or hand on certain occassions but time out works best especially when it comes to the smaller ones because they hate to sit still and be quiet..."spanking" I think only makes your child fear you and become distant and hateful as they get older...I do threaten with the belt but it is never used but it gets mine to do as they are asked when I do...just an easy way out for me I guess instead of arguing with them
    MamaCortney

Answer by MamaCortney at 11:05 AM on Sep. 17, 2010