what do you feed an almost one yr old food when they are smacking it away and food goes flying- what do you do?

every time i feed my son he gears up to fight me while i am feeding him- i give him toys to keep him occupied but now thats not working - what do i do now?

charonnichole

Asked by charonnichole at 8:54 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ah, sounds like its about time to let him start feeding himself some finger foods!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:06 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• hi. you let him feed himself! or at least experiment with mushing up the food... he may want the time to explore his food... my daughter and older sone used to do this. try soft macaroni, diced vegetables, reeeeeally tiny meat, scrambled eggs, and a BIG bib lol!! THEN when he gets fruistrated that he cant get enough in to be full, he will probably welcome a scoop or two on the spoon from you. babies are tactile and may want to breateh hard and concentrate on the foods textures and ability to mush it a little. also, dont pbviously force a child to eat. give them their formula and then see fi they will be hungry again. they are just learning. my son NEVER wanted to chew!!! he was lazy lol and would try to swallow stuff whole... so i once was FIRM and grabbed his highchair and said You. HAVE! to Chew your FOOD! you have TEETH!!
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 8:59 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Make it fun.
    Make it serios
    Keep trying
    Wear a raincoat.
    Enjoy your baby. Soon he won't be home for dinner.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:57 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• My son went through this phase. Chances are, you may have done something funny when you were feeding him and now he wants to get that reaction out of you again. I would just try it, if he was going to fight me, I'd stop...and then try again later. Kids aren't going to starve themselves. I also wore my hair back and put on a hat, lol.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 9:01 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• finger foods one at a time?
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 9:02 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Let him feed himself.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 9:18 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I let them feed themselves.
    jojolicious220

Answer by jojolicious220 at 9:35 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Thank you so much!
    charonnichole

Comment by charonnichole (original poster) at 10:34 PM on Sep. 16, 2010