Sex offenders

Have you ever looked up the sex offender list to see if there are any that live around you or to an area you are thinking about moving to?

ajbrownies

Asked by ajbrownies at 8:59 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• there are about 15 in my complex. we are moving.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:02 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• there is 2 in my town and i met one ill stay where i am for now
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 9:04 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• "Sex Offender" is a VERY broad spectrum. In most states you can NOT actually find out what the charges were without their personal info. I have a friend who is a "sex offender", because he dated a girl in HS who was 2 years younger than he was... her dad found out and pressed charges. You never know the whole story.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:04 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• 0 in my general area that are registered!
    mom2eas

Answer by mom2eas at 9:07 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• In NY you can find out what their charges were vaguely. There are 2 that live within the same city as me ... I think we'll stay
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 9:10 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• the local school district has a link on the home page to the sex offender website. there are 8 within a 5 mile radius the the nearest middles school/ elementary school. WTF???
    CFMPprincess

Answer by CFMPprincess at 9:14 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Yes. We live in the country. The nearest registered sex offender to us is about 12 miles away (15 min.). He works for my dad. Our parents have been friends since before we were born. His offence is stat. rape. He was 18 and she was 15. Her dad took her to a party with him, got drunk and allowed her to drink. She told him she was 20. She looked older than that. The judge had a few choice words for her dad and when he asked where her mom was she replied "at another party". People heard her and since the judge said he would beleve her if she said she was 20 he go a light sentence. There was a new law passed in Ga that says a person with his charge and certain circumstances and the crime was commited before 2003 can have their record cleaned. He qualifies. I have no problem with him around my son.
    There are 2 more about 30 min. away and they apparently like family members as there charge is incest.
    cassey.e

Answer by cassey.e at 9:28 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Yes, I have. Where I used to live, there were tons. Where I'm living now, in a smaller town, there's aren't many, but there are some. In my old town, it even showed where they worked and what the offense was. I recognized TWO of them!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:29 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• This site will ive you the offenders in your area, as well as a picture and a list of ther convictions- kinda scary!!!

http://www.familywatchdog.us/default.asp
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:50 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• No, I think they are a crock. Not to mention that over half of all sex crimes go unreported, you could easily have a child molester or rapist living next door that wouldn't be on the registry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 PM on Sep. 16, 2010