How much of medical expenses goes to excuses?

Younger girl in one of my classes brought in a dr's note today for missing last class - that automatically excuses the absence. Heard her talking before class to another girl - she went to student health and got a free pregnancy test that day just to get the excuse - note doesn't say why she went, just that she was there on that date.
Aside from faking it for a note, there are other times where you're required to get a note for a stupid reason - your kids are down for 2 days with a virus, day 3 you catch it, day 4, work says you can't come back without a note, even though there's nothing doctor can do and the first two days you were home with sick kids. Some schools have similar policies - kid gets sick and can't shake it in less than 3 days, no re-entry without a note from the doctor after your insurance pays him $200 to tell you to keep the kid hydrated. How much money is wasted on this each year?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 9:16 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• alot.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:20 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• A WHOLE LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    TheBabyFactory4

Answer by TheBabyFactory4 at 9:27 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Yeah I've seen that happen it is ridiculous.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:31 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I am sure it happens a lot.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:33 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• That's why kids go to school and adults go to work sick...then the school nurse or your boss/supervisor sends you home--after. of course potentially giving whatever germs you have to everyone you've come in contact that day. Ugh.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:38 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I can call my doc and get a note for free. But he's an old school doc and he sees me and my kids.

This is a very good point you make.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:40 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Yes and it drives me CRAZY! Especially when the kids are just running a fever (thats just a 24 hr bug!) and the Dr doesn't want to see you until the fever has run for at LEAST 24 hrs and the school wants a NOTE or you cant miss...but that SAME school send home bulletin that says please dont send your kids to school with fever...omg! You cant WIN!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:41 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• This is very good question! I would be curious to see some figures if there were any..I wonder if anyone has "studied" this? Last year my oldest son was sick with swine flu symptoms, I called the doctor about getting in (I thought they were giving Tamiflu to kids too), spoke to the nurse instead and was told no appt was needed. They had so many cases they weren't even running the test anymore. My son needed permission to go back to school. The doctor's office wrote a note for me to pick up. I can see how this could be a very costly problem.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:18 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Way Too Much ! But parents have no choice where I live, if you don't comply, they turn you over to Family and Children's Services, Both of our sons have Asthma, every year when they started back to school, especially elementary, they got sick within the first 2 weeks. I always had to take them to the doctor to get antibiotics, so I always had doc excuses. But the thing that gets me is stomach viruses, and they are rampant in elementary school. It usually takes about 3 days to deal with those. In our area you are only allowed 8 absences per semester; I think what they expect of parents is absurd! Who wants to drag a sick child, who's throwing up to the doc., just so you can get a stupid excuse for school!!! And as OP said, $200.00 to tell you to buy pedialyte. I wonder if actions really are followed through with, on parents who don't comply, if you can't afford to go the the doc; wth are you supposed to do?
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 11:03 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Exactly wanda, and THEN you are exposing OTHER kids to your sick kid and your (already immune weakened child) to whatever other sickness' are there ALL so you can get a dang NOTE when you know the Dr is just going to say pedialyte and rest!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:05 PM on Sep. 16, 2010