Getting married in SC but live in VA....Any advice??

Hi! I'm gettin married in SC on an island, but I live in VA. I'm not sure what the first thing I should be doing to get ready for it. My fiance is in Iraq right now and I'm trying to figure out how to plan something so far away from us. How far in advance should I start preparing? How do I get stuff to fall into place from all the way up here. Has anyone ever gotten married and been in this situation? I need help and advice! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

kimbercase26

Asked by kimbercase26 at 12:12 AM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Travel

• Where are you getting married at in SC? Do you have a place in mind? Do you have a planner? Have you set a date? I got married in Vegas and lived in CA. But I got married at the RIO and had a planner as it was easier for me. You can email me privately if you like, or I'll try to remember to come back and check for your answers. Have a happy day, and congrats on your upcoming marriage!
    nicksmum1998

Answer by nicksmum1998 at 1:46 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• The most important thing to do, is determine if you will have a church or civil ceremony. If church, find out if the officiant can be from either state (some are only licensed for one state). That will help determine who presides over the ceremony. If civil, find out their requirements on marriage licenses. Most are only good for 60 days, but Vegas licenses are good for a year. Once you have that information, you can ask either the officiant or the civil office if they know anyone who can help you plan the wedding. I'm not talking full on, all expense paid Wedding Planner stuff. I just mean, maybe someone who has a checklist you can follow, etc. I'd start planning now. Depending on the size of the wedding party and the amount of guests, you will have TONS of fun things to prepare. Have a beautiful day!
    ChefMom94

Answer by ChefMom94 at 6:17 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Ok...well I talked to my fiance today and he said that he has changed his mind. He would rather get married in Ohio (which is where I grew up and all of my family live). So instead of planning it for NC we have decided on Ohio! Oh my goodness! I can see why there are Bridezillas! Lol! I'm going to stress pretty soon! Lol! And I talked to my sister and I think we've decided to have it at her house (farm house with land!) And have the reception there as well! :) So now I have to figure all of this new stuff out! And we also moved the wedding date up, because he doesn't want to wait so long to be able to call me his wife! So after he gets back from Iraq it looks like we're heading to Ohio to get hitched!!! Yay! :) Now it's going to be a ton easier....I hope! Lol! But I'm still open to suggestions on everything! :) I've never planned a wedding! :)
    kimbercase26

Answer by kimbercase26 at 2:21 AM on Oct. 19, 2008