What do you do to get your child to stop lying???

My daughter is 7 and has started this phase of lying (a lot), and we are a complete loss as to what to do!!! We don't even know what started this! Its constant, and she isn't too worried about the consequences, and we are stuck.....

AdoptingMyChild

Asked by AdoptingMyChild at 9:40 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• For every Lie, take a toy away. When she goes a day without lying, then she can have one back, and so on... It's a thought, not sure if it works, I haven't had to deal with that... Thankfully.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:49 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Tell her that lying hurts people, esp. you and you wish she's stop because she is a big girl. Big girls don't lie..
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 7:23 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Take away privileges.  Other helpful answers are here.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:23 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Tell stories about what happened to liers, if she has watched Pinoccho is a cartoon, you know whenever he lies, his nose grows, use this story to tell her that that's what happens to liers. Also use bible stories for children for her.
    ocynachi

Answer by ocynachi at 7:00 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• First I impressed on my son how much worse things would be if he lied. The punishments would be ten times worse if he lied on top of whatever it was.
    If that doesn work, then instead of talking to your kid, show her what lying does to people. The next time she wants you to do something for her tell her you'll do it, then don't. I know that sounds harsh, but lies hurt other people and if she starts experiencing the other side of it, maybe it will sink in. Be consistent, though. If she knows she will get away with it she'll keep doing it.
    azhlynne

Answer by azhlynne at 8:37 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• BTW....not to frustrate you, but by the age of 7 a child is pretty much developed into whatever her personality is going to be. Unfortunately, if she is consistently lying and the consequences are not fazing her, you may just have a habitual liar on your hands. My step daughter was like that and even her therapist said she was not going to change. She never did and to this day at 23 she is just a pathological liar. It is unfortunate but sometimes that is just the way they are. You could take her to a child therapist.
    azhlynne

Answer by azhlynne at 8:40 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• VINEGAR.
    i.heart.rachel

Answer by i.heart.rachel at 11:45 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Tell her Santa clause is watching. It works for me. Now if the kid is a teen, then good luck!
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 8:53 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Vinegar? Are you serious? Tell me you're joking? No way!!
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 8:54 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• You may not like this either, but soap? It worked for my mom and it works for me! All children are different, but try something consistently for a couple of weeks... If you don't see a change try a different consequence for a few weeks until you find something that works!
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 10:01 PM on Sep. 18, 2010