Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Does anyone know what it takes to get a restraining order?

There was a time when my husband and I were separated and I was with another guy for awhile. My husband and I are now back together and the thing with this guy has been over for over a year. He refuses to accept this and will not stop texting me. I have no proof of any of the obscene messages he has sent to me. Can I get a restraining order?


Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (14)
  • Changing your number would be the easiest way. If, somehow he manages to get your new number, then go with the restraining order.

    Answer by jenniphee at 1:08 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

  • No,it's simple, you can change your number.

    Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:47 PM on Sep. 16, 2010


    Answer by msbrewton at 10:03 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

  • I think it depends on where you live, and what exactly the situation is. My cousin just got one, and had to go to the court house, get a court date, and go to court to get hers - it was because of someone harassing her.

    But I think different states have different ways to do it and different criteria and all.... I would start keeping copies of whatever you can from now on, though, document everything, every text, phone call, etc, so that if and whenever you get the chance you'll have anything you could need already documented and ready to go.

    Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:47 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

  • No but you can keep the messages and show them to the police with your messages you sent him and file for harassment. A retraining order is put in place when you're life has been threaten or is in danger or if the other guy has been physical abusive. Just change your number to make things easier on you.

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:49 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

  • I have filed a restraining order before. Why didn't you save the texts? You should take a pic of the phone with the texts in it, thats what cops do. Out here if they don't threaten you violently it it $320 to file. You fill out the 8 page application, you must have all his info, address phone, car. It goes in front of a judge, and the judge decides if it is needed or not. If the judge approves it, your ex however has the right to contest it and you will need to show up in court and actually see him.

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:50 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

  • I can't afford to change my phone number. I shouldn't have to anyway.

    Answer by luvsmysonjames at 9:50 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

  • Call your local police and ask... that's the least you can do

    Answer by Morgain at 9:53 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

  • Changing your phone number is cheaper than filing a restraining order. If he sends you more texts call the sherrifs dept and ask them to call him and tell him to stop. Sometimes that works even though he legally can't get in trouble for it unless he's threatening to hurt you.

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:59 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

  • In our town you can't get one for obscene messages. You can try for a harassment charge against him. Personally I'd let my man take care of it

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:35 PM on Sep. 16, 2010