bottle weaning

anyone else having an easy time? or had? my husband used to get up with our son, but when we needed to wean, we switched things. I get up with him now if he wakes and almost a week since we switched, he hasnt had a single bottle. am i just lucky? or is this more common than i thought?

imanixon2

Asked by imanixon2 at 12:13 AM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• corgan quit them cold turkey without any problems at 11 months. glad we're both lucky!
    corgansmommy

Answer by corgansmommy at 12:41 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Some kids just give up the bottle easier than others. Some kids seem to get very attached to the bottle, like a security thing. If they give it up easily, they didn't feel that attachment thing, or didn't need it. I found if they have something else they are attached to like a pacifier, or blankie, or stuffed animal, it makes it easier to take the bottle away. You did just get lucky!!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 1:31 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Our oldest was fairly attached and it took us some time to get it away from her. William, our middle, gave up the bottle on his own around 9 months. Once he mastered using a sippy cup, he had no desire for a bottle. His "security" items are his 2 blankies that he still sleeps with. And Darby wasn't as easy as William but there was no major struggle. I didn't push the issue until she was, oh I guess about 13 months or so? Maybe 14 months. However, until the past week or so Darby was taking a sippy cup of water to her bed at night. I quit that cold turkey with her and she has been sleeping better since then, because obviously now that she's not drinking all that fluid she is not having the mega wet diapers during the night.
    JBrummer

Answer by JBrummer at 2:06 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• i had to wean my daughter off a little after her 2nd birthday. i took a lot of crap from other people because she was 2 and on the bottle, but that's how she was. the super wet diapers and nite time diaper changes stopped after that. i would say your lucky, but its fairly common. way to go!
    zombie_mommy

Answer by zombie_mommy at 2:30 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• When my dd was about 9 months we cut her bottle back to naps and bed only. The when she was a year we cut out the nap bottles and only had bed bottles. When she was bout 15-16 months i put her to bed had her bottle half full of water and she wouldn't take it. So i asked her if she was done with the bottle and she said yes. That night i threw all her bottles away. So ya its pretty easy. The only reason she still had bottles after a year was she was late cutting her teeth and her gums where really sencitive at night.
    EJsHottMama

Answer by EJsHottMama at 12:05 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Both of my boys gave them up on there own by 8 months. I guess we had it easy too
    mylilredheadboy

Answer by mylilredheadboy at 2:41 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• my dd was so ready to drink from a big cup - we put the bottles away and she never asked for them
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 5:25 PM on Oct. 18, 2008