Should I go say something to my neighbors?

We own a condo and for the most part it has been great. That is up until three guys moved into the condo next to us. We have had problems in the past with them being very loud and parking in our parking space (which we own). Right now they are playing basketball outside on the patio and it is nearly 10 o'clock at night. My son's room is on the back side of the condo and they are being very loud and it sounds like the ball is bouncing off the siding of the house. We have a condo association and there are no set rules for loud disturbances other than be respectful of your neighbor. Should I go ask them to stop playing basketball? Do I have a right or is this something that I am just going to have to put up with it?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 9:51 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Home & Garden

• There probably is a noise ordinance, so they will have to be quiet. I would let them know your son is trying to sleep and your loud playing is keeping him up, maybe they will stop...?
    Stephernie88

Answer by Stephernie88 at 9:54 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I personally would ask if they can stop and do it at a more appropriate time of day and if they don't then call the cops. You can always call in a noise complaint to the police no matter what time of day if it is really bothering you. GL and it's what I would do.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 9:56 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I wouldn't say anything to them right now- they have rights too......but I would maybe mention somethin to them tomorrow, in a nice way about what time the kids go to sleep and asking if they wouldn't mind keeping it down after that time- good luck!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:56 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Call the cops... that's why you pay taxes!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I would call the police and let them handle it. Or if you worried about getting along with them just ask them nicely and if it doesnt stop then let them deal with the police
    luvsgriffin

Answer by luvsgriffin at 10:06 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I would nicely try to say something to them. Explain that you have a young child that is trying to sleep & you dont want to be a b*tch about it, but they are waking him up. If that doesn't work Then I would call the cops...
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 10:10 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Here's how I dealt with my annoying neighbors at my old house. There was a house of 20-somethings next door and they honestly didn't realize they were being obnoxious. So one night, when they were being loud as Hell I went over, armed with brownies and introduced myself. I just mentioned that we had a little boy and sometimes he was woken up at night because they were being a little loud. They apologized and said they hadn't even thought about it. They were pretty good about it-they're nice guys-and if they were making any noise, I'd just knock and ask them if they could keep it down and they were fine. Lots of times young people don't even mean to be inconsiderate, they just don't realize they're causing problems. If talking to them doesn't work, I'd ask the cops. They can ask them to keep it down.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 10:11 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I would look into a Noise Ordinance and I would also call the cops. They need to have respect for everyone around them and your Child needs his sleep.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 1:59 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Regardless whether the subdivision has a nosie ordinance of their own, the town/city in which you live surely has one. I know in my town, you can't be loud after 9 p.m. If I were you, I would let the police handle it. If you've already had problems with them not respecting your property and being disruptful, I wouldn't take the chance of making it worse by saying something to them yourself...then if you have to resort to calling the police in the future, they'll KNOW its you. If you let the police deal with it from the start, they won't know for a fact who called. Plus, 3 guys are out numbering you. Not to say these guys are scum bag criminals, but all it takes is for someone to say soemthing at the wrong time, and you could find yourself in a sticky situation.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:53 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Don't call the police, that should be a last resort. You should give them the respect of speaking with them nicely first.. Your town/city probably has a noise ordinance, usually in place after 10 or 11, so legally they may be doing nothing wrong, and basketball is good wholesome fun usually. The way you approach them can make a huge difference in how they respond to you. They may be perfectly reasonable and nice about it. Give them the opportunity to do the right thing in the right way. If you are nasty however, don't be surprised if they respond likewise since you've set a precedent. The police are called for too many things these days that SHOULD be settled between reasonable adults
    cmlkb

Answer by cmlkb at 4:11 PM on Sep. 17, 2010