Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

Who can i call about State funded therarpy for my son?

I had my son tested a yr ago for ADHD and autisium. They said he shows many signs of both but wanted to wait untill he was 4 for anymore testing.

But his insurance wont cover anything else. I sure as heck cant afford to pay for it.
I was told that sometimes the state will pay for these things. I have Florida medicaid for him.

Any clue where i should start?

Answer Question

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 9:56 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Level 11 (597 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • Where are you in Florida? I work for a community health center in Florida - we have Behavior Health at our center. We also take Medicaid. I hope you are near me because I think we could help you.

    Answer by PrttyMstng at 10:01 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

  • Im in Hernando county

    Comment by Keaton_Hazel (original poster) at 10:14 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

  • If he's 3, call the school district and request they evaluate & provide services. Legally, the local school district is obligated by IDEA to provide both the evaluations & services at no charge to you. You can get the services from the school in addition to anything the state may offer.

    Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:39 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

  • Hes 4 now

    Comment by Keaton_Hazel (original poster) at 11:18 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

  • Yeah public schools start at age 3 and if you are lucky to have a speical school you can goes as youn as 20 months. My son was put into the system at 28 months and then when he turned 3 moved the school. They can't diagnose but they can should a delay in areas. I've had to take my son an hour away to get the diagnoses for autistic and he is 3 and half but that took 4 months of back and forth and tests. Its good your asking keep asking for your area they is help but it's just usually not publicly known.

    Answer by whoreallycares at 5:40 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

  • Call and ask your insurance if it will cover it, if they do ask them where you can get this done

    Answer by sstepph at 7:20 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

  • I'm in Pasco county. I'm not certain of the procedure to get him in - he might need to see the pediatric doctor first for a referal but maybe not.
    I'm the dental hygienist for the Zephyrhills and Dade City offices which is why I am not sure of the procedure. It's Premier Community Health Care. This is our web site -

    Answer by PrttyMstng at 7:34 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

  • Start with your child's doctor and have him put you in for referrals....from there you should be directed to other resources, also check with the health department and even your local school board

    Answer by Carey2006 at 1:30 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.