how long can you go without breastfeeding before it drys up

Jaimepoo

Asked by Jaimepoo at 9:57 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well I breastfed for 12 months and my DD is now 15 months and I am still not dry.... I don't think anyone would want to eat what's coming out of me now though haha... ew!
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 9:58 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• it all depends on if u tried to make your selff dry up or u just didnt feed
    pookersmommy88

Answer by pookersmommy88 at 10:00 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I did not breastfeed because of medical reasons, but I got my milk and let it all leak out to get it over with which took about a week and a half to two weeks to completely be done. I know, it sounds gross, but it's what happened!
    mcannonk

Answer by mcannonk at 10:23 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• just because you're not leaking does not mean that you're not producing. and, btw- breast milk never gets "old' it is constantly replenished. Unless you took something to put a halt on lactation, then it can takes months or even years to completely dissipate.
    My eldest is 9, the baby is 3- I have never stopped lactating since my eldest was born.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:27 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• It took me nearly a year to dry up after my last baby. Not sure that it would make a difference, but I never had a break. I was preggo or breastfed for almost 6 years straight (4 babies). I didn't have milk at all with my first. I've heard the norm if you have never breastfed is about a week or two.
    Momof5minis

Answer by Momof5minis at 10:35 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• There are a lot of different determining factors. The amount of milk you had, length of time you breastfed...etc. The only sure thing is that the milk will dry up gradually as the stimulation decreases
    CassyzMom

Answer by CassyzMom at 9:15 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Milk can be there for as long as a year, even when you wean gradually.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:04 PM on Sep. 17, 2010