Christmas for an atheist

With it coming closer, I look forward to the family togetherness, but I am not looking forward to the comments about taking my son to "such and such nativity" or that there is "such a nice child version of the bible story" and so on. I wish that people would not bring up religion every time near the holidays. I wish they would just let me enjoy spending time with my little boy watching christmas specials, looking at christmas lights, making sweets, and all those other non spiritual christmas traditions. Do any other atheists feel the same?

wenona_mandy

Asked by wenona_mandy at 10:02 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• For me Christmas is about spending time with the people I love and letting them know how much I love and appreciate having them in my life. It's just more about togetherness for me.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:05 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Absolutely. Though, my mum & da have gotten really tight lipped since I said that they would not be permitted access to the kids unless they showed a little respect regarding my wishes that they not be introduced to religion at such a tender age.

Honestly, I could take x-mas or leave it. I don't put up a tree, decorate, or buy a bunch of gifts. I enjoy seeing friends and fam, spending time together, baking, etc. But that is pretty much the extent of our celebration. Besides, It's not a christian holiday any way.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:06 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• i am pagan and DH family is very religious and we just end up ignoring the talks of god ect or wait till the ones that push their views on us leave
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 10:07 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• To be fair, Christmas IS about the birth of Jesus, but if people know how you feel, then they shouldn't keep bringing things up. My husband is an atheist, and I try to be respectful of him, but at the same time, he will go with us to look at a Nativity scene if we are going. I am a Christian, so I always want the true meaning there, but try not to make it uncomfortable for him... :)
    AdoptingMyChild

Answer by AdoptingMyChild at 10:08 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Ummm.... Not to be critical, but CHRISTmas, when you take away all the commericialism, IS a religious holiday. I guess if you are celebrating it, most people will assume you are a Christian.
    I have friends who are atheist and they do not call what they celebrate "Christmas". I have one who actually calls it "Xmas" (said with the X). I have others who call it Festivus (which I believe that name actually comes from a Seinfeld episode). But to each their own.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:10 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Not to be critical, but CHRISTmas, when you take away all the commericialism, IS a religious holiday.

---------------------------------

didn't say it wasn't religious, just not christian. not in origin anyway.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:15 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I'm lucky because with the exception of two cousins, my entire family is atheist and so is my dh's family so there is no religious pressure at all. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:15 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Thanks beeky. Just rub it in why don't ya! ;P
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:22 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I was raised catholic (couldn't stand it) and now converting to Judaism. We celebrate Hanukkah with DH father and "christmas" with his mom.  Oh, the horror.

nicole_Evans

Answer by nicole_Evans at 10:27 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• @ Nicole~ My parents are Messianic. They used to be AG fundies. It's a really incredibly interesting holiday season! lol
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:51 PM on Sep. 16, 2010