Beauty Pageants/Child Modeling or Acting

Creepy? Or good for the college fund?
Does it matter if it's a no glitz contest?
Contest vs. Modeling, does that change your answer?
Are there some kids who see kid actors/models and say I want to do that, or do we think the parents claiming that are lying?

With shows like Toddlers and Tiaras it got me wondering these things, and since I don't have any in person mom friends I figured I'd toss this out on Cafe Mom.

LoveBuggsMommie

Asked by LoveBuggsMommie at 10:05 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• i think pagents are "cute" but when u really take a hard look at the values it is teaching our daughters. It does more damage than good for their self image and confidence. and Even modelling seems to teach children that their looks please their parents and others instead of teaching children the are beautiful people on the inside and we value who they are not what they look like
    hillybean1985

Answer by hillybean1985 at 10:10 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I don't like the idea of putting children against each other ro see who's more attractive and talented. Just seems wrong to me. Modeling is not so bad as long as the childs youth is not being compromised. To each his own.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 10:27 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• My daughter did 2 all natural pageants. No makeup or glitz and glamour. All she had to wear was a formal dress, no swim suit or talent competition. The pageant was based off her interview and her dress. She won both times and made history by being the first kid to ever win back to back, in 2 seperate age groups. I see nothing wrong with pageants like those. SHE wanted to do them and begged me to let her.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 10:29 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I did pageants when I was younger and I wanted to do them. They were full glitz pageants and I'm not obsesses about my looks nor do I think looks are everything my mother always instilled in me the truth of inner beauty. I say they are OK as long as the child isn't being forced.
    drdavenport

Answer by drdavenport at 10:36 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Poisonous Blonde, how old was your daughter? I bet some girls do want to do them, and while I tihnk there are some Pageant Moms who are beyond over board, I do wonder how bad the Natural ones are because I think you can still teach your daughters beauty comes from within....backed up by the interview.
    LoveBuggsMommie

Comment by LoveBuggsMommie (original poster) at 10:57 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I was one of those children who was put in pageants because my Mom liked the idea.
    I modeled for several years locally as a teenager.
    I would NOT let my Daughter do it.....Having the insight that I have, I know how much it can affect your self esteem and I do not want that for her. I do not think it is good to put your child in a "competition" so to speak to find out if she is equal to/less than or better than others. I think it sends out the wrong impression and can cause issues for the rest of the childs life.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 1:41 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My daughter is so much more than what she looks like.....
    A lot of society nowadays is based on looks, prettier is better, and you can only be successful if you're attractive.
    Why would i want to emphasise that message to her?

Why would i want to reduce her to her looks, when she is so much more?
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 3:16 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• pageant can be good but the problem is that parents take it too far and are too competative...make-up on babies????! come on now....My oldest daughter was in a pageant when she was about 7 or 8 months old and won first runner up in a plain Sunday dress, headband with a bow and NO MAKEUP at all....all the babies that wore makeup and such didn't come close to winning....the way it should be....prissing up little girls and boys for pageants is WRONG...that s definately a natural beauty stage of pageants....leave the make up and such to when they are teenagers

Sorry to babble but that's the only bad thing I see with pageants
    MamaCortney

Answer by MamaCortney at 10:51 AM on Sep. 17, 2010