Calling Tent Campers! Advice pls :)

Bare bones--what do we NEED?
Whats your preference on cooking? Fire. Propane. any specifics is great!
Lanterns: What type do you use? Battery (what size). or Propane? Anything you can recommend?

Up for any advice here! Im scared of forgetting something important. Our first time out it will just be me & dh. But the better it goes the sooner we will be back out..
I know the longer we camp the more we will get. I just need a good start list. Plan on cooking simple things like Hotdogs/Burgers our first time. Nothing fancy.

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 10:11 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• tent, bedding, pillows
    flashlights, LOTS of batteries
    lighter, paper, kindling, wood, axe (for fire and cooking)
    cooking rack to go over fire for burgers or pans for eggs in the morning
    aluminum foil to cook potatoes or corn over fire with (don't go cheap there, cheap burns off, found that out the hard way).
    condiments (ketchup, mustard, salt, pepper)
    paper plates and silverware and napkins
    sticks and things for smores (a must have, lol)
    a pocket knife, rope and nails (trust me you never know, we had to use them to rig a sheet for our "bathroom" once, lol) also good for laundry though.
    garbage bags
    extra tarp
    clothes, be sure to pack extra socks and sneakers incase it rains
    jugs of water for washing dishes, self, drinking, etc.
    cooler, and lots of ice.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:48 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Some things you'll need-
    tiolet paper
    paper towels
    paper plates and utensils for eating and cooking
    warm clothes
    gas for starting the fire
    garbage bags
    bug spray
    beer
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:15 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Will you be going to a campsite? If so, then check to see what amenities the campsite offers (grills, pit grills, water, etc). When we go camping we only like to cook over a charcoal fire. We don't bring much along when we camp, just the basics- tent, sleeping bag, a few flashlights or lanterns (you can pick up some cheap ones at Wal-Mart), a cooler with all of our food in it. charcoal, matches or a lighter, etc.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:18 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• We use a propane camp stove. You need cook wear, plates, glasses, something to carry water in.
    The one thing I really like is the mat to go under the sleeping bag, as your sleeping on the ground. It is hard of course. Where are you going camping?
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:18 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• lol beer
    we use a propane stove for cooking,
    those candles that keep bugs away for light,
    flashlights just in case u gotta go potty late at night,
    dont for get the tent, and air matress if u have one
    pans to cook with
    hmmm i got more ill get back to ya
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 10:19 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I would recommend Propane for cooking and lantern. That way if its raining or you have wet wood you can still cook. A campfire is always nice, but sometimes not so good for cooking!!! The propane latern will last longer, and is brighter. They are awesome, and about 20bucks at wal mart. You really just need some blankets, a air mattress unless you really want to rough it and a latern. The food is what ever you want to cook and snack on. For some reason camping makes me want to eat all day!!! Also bring some cards or something to do incase you are bored. Good luck!!! I love camping!
    Willsmommy80

Answer by Willsmommy80 at 10:19 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I've been tent camping since I was a kid and I agree with what everyone else has said but the one other thing I can think of is something to wash dishes in........you can find wash tubs at walmart in the section where the dish racks are. If you are cooking with any kind of non plastic utensils you will need it. Also I agree that propane is better, it's also easier and faster. Another thing, check out what the campground is like.......if there's not a lot of shade you might want to bring along a screen tent (if you have one) or a tarp to string up over the picnic table......this comes in handy if it rains too. Make sure you take some kind of rope (in case you have anything that needs to dry) you can string from tree to tree. Have a great time!!
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 10:28 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• we do this a few times a year. Bring an AIR MATRESS or you will be sore!! Put a barricade around your campfire if you have little ones, mine tripped and fell in!!!Scary as hell! We usually bring out gas grill because you can grill and cook breakfast with a frying pan on it so you don't have to bring both a grill and a stove.. Flashlights. Bug repellent. Toilet Paper. Towels, blankets, chairs, Jackets. Good foods to bring are Peanut butter and Jelly! Just in case! Hot dogs, chips, crackers, juice boxes and pop, marshmallows, muffins, fruit, carrot sticks. Oh yeah and fishing license and gear of course!!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:29 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I agree on the washtub idea especially - rubbermaid totes and tubs have so many uses, and it's great to have a few on hand. Also - ZIPLOCKS!! Those are another thing that come in handy when you least expect it. Zipties are good too.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 10:34 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• things to drink
    activities for the kids
    ziplock bags, cerain wrap
    toilet paper,
    bug spray or candles,
    night sticks are great to help keep track of kids too. lol.
    paper cups..
    coffee if you drink it
    beer or some type of alcohol (can't camp without it, lol)
    chairs,
    a shovel if you are going raw camping (to dig the fire pit, and "bathroom")
    air mattress for those that get sore easily
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:52 AM on Sep. 17, 2010