Does your baby make eye contact?

My baby makes eye contact... but sometimes it just takes him a while to focus on me and not some random object in the room. Like I might need to smack my lips for a few seconds or whistle to get his attention, even though I am about 12 inches from his face calling his name. Is that normal?

GeorgiaPeach_87

Asked by GeorgiaPeach_87 at 10:47 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How old is he?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:48 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• 4 months as of tomorrow
    GeorgiaPeach_87

Comment by GeorgiaPeach_87 (original poster) at 10:51 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• He might just be distracted by his surroundings. There is so much to see and take in! If you are worried about it, ask your pediatrician, but I wouldn't be too concerned if he DOES make eye contact once you have his attention. I know if my son is looking at something and trying to concentrate on it, there is no breaking through sometimes. :)
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 10:58 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• my son was like that too - I think he was far too busy to focus but I remember that worrying me -he's almost 3 now and he's "normal" I mean active as all get out and a personality that would kick ya in the throat lol! !
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:08 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• That sounds normal at 4 months old to me. My son is 6 months and still gets distracted or refuses to make eye contact with me sometimes. I just figure I'm not what he's wanting to look at or deal with at that moment. If he NEVER made eye contact with me I might worry but he does, just not all the time.
    kamsmommy17

Answer by kamsmommy17 at 2:00 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Babies are naturally drawn to faces, especially their favourite person.. you. When they are tired or overstimulated, however they will instictually avoid eye contact and various other stimuli so as not to "overload" the brain with information. Sensitive babies get overstimulated more easily
    CassyzMom

Answer by CassyzMom at 9:07 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I can't really say, I can only speak from experience. My little girl can focus on me from across our living room which is way over 10 feet, she focuses on me as soon as I walk into the room and smile. She is 5 months as of yesterday, but she has been doing this for awhile. She is very alert and curious. Being 12in away, he should be about to look and respind to you with noise or with expression. Talk to your peditritian if you are still concered. I think it may be that he is distracted. My daughter won't respond to her name, just noises, movement, lights, etc. She hasn't caught onto her name yet and I don't blame her. Zeraea is hard haha
    ZammiesMommy

Answer by ZammiesMommy at 3:20 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My little man is so busy trying to see EVERYTHING and touch EVERYTHING (6 months today! Yay!) that he will sometimes not focus on us, but if it is ALL THE TIME then you need to bring this to the pediatricians attention ASAP because it could be something serious.

Good luck!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 3:28 PM on Sep. 17, 2010