14 day old...sleep....???

I am breastfeeding....my son is 14 days old today....He normally sleeps after feeding...But at night he wakes up as soon as i put him down...or within minutes. He doesnt do this during the day. Only at night. As soon as I pick him up hes asleep on my shoulder within a minute! What to do?? He definately isnt sleeping in bed with me...Just not something I want....

tiger_tatted1

Asked by tiger_tatted1 at 10:49 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he's probably still on the night cycle, you have to train and teach a child to be on a schedule. remember they were following your lead before while inside of you = now turn the tables a bit .. It took my son about 2 months to sleep at actual night time...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:51 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• He will get used to sleeping without being held eventually. It takes a little time. There were so many times the first couple months when I would up sleeping in the recliner holding my dd because it was the only way we could both get some sleep. I am not a co-sleeper, either and really did not want my dd getting used to sleeping with me. You just have to keep putting him in his crib to sleep and he will get used to it. You can swaddle him tightly so he still feel snuggled and that helps for a lot of babies. Another thing is you can put him in his bed only at night and use a pack n play or something for day time naps. During the day, keep it light and don't turn off the noise in the house, but start with turning off lights and noise at bed time. It will establish a good day/night routine. Good luck!
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:31 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Well... sometimes we have to do things we don't want to do for the sake of our kids. If you don't sleep, you won't be able to care for him. My first was the same way and I swore I wouldn't co-sleep. After I fell asleep with him in my arms one night and nearly dropped him on the floor I decided his safety was more important.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:35 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• my son was the same way for the longs time i had to sleep with him on my chest or next to me . it will pass he is now 4 moths and he sleeps by him self in his bed.
    lette24

Answer by lette24 at 11:47 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• He's quite normal at 14 days. Sleep training isn't something that's advised till six months.

I also wasn't going to co=sleep. Life kinda got in the way of that plan. **grin** I've learned that more parental sleep is lost by trying to make babies do what they instinctively fight than would be if we'd follow their cues.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:02 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• This problem just started two nights ago...Thats why I was suprised. Because he was sleeping fine in his bassinet on his own...I figured out what he wanted though....I accidentally rolled him on his belly when I was wrapping him...He was asleep in less than a minute! And he slept great! Little Booger!
    tiger_tatted1

Comment by tiger_tatted1 (original poster) at 1:10 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I went through this to... & ended up doing research on co-sleeping. With 2 babies it was just too much to be getting up ever 5 minutes because of a lost binky or missing mommy syndrome. My babies slept with me until they started sleeping through the night... now they sleep in their crib from 8pm-8am religiously!
    TwinMamaKels

Answer by TwinMamaKels at 2:06 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My daughter did the same. First you have to realize that she is ONLY 14 days old, she needs time to adjust to her new environment. What I did to correct this, and it worked within a week. Is put her down for bedtime at the same time every night after a bath and a story. If she wakes up, pick her up rock her back to sleep, then lay her down, and keep doing it till she stays laying down. Keep the bedroom as dark as possible so it can relate darkness, to nighttime. It worked wonders with my little girl though she is 5 months now she wakes up every 4 hours. But once I put her down, she doesn't try to wake up like she does during the day for her naps. Be consistent and patient. It will come, sooner or later. Good luck!
    ZammiesMommy

Answer by ZammiesMommy at 3:17 PM on Sep. 17, 2010