What do you do when your baby has a cold? I need advice.

I have a 4 yr old, a 3 yr old and 4-month-old twins. The 2 older kids have been sick for a few days now so I figured the twins would get it too! Well, today they both started getting a runny nose and they're pretty congested. The problem is... you can't buy OTC cold medicine for infants... only kids 2 and over... so what are you supposed to do? I know I should know this since I have 2 older kids but it seems like it's been ages since I had to deal with this when they were babies. LoL.

Anyway, I got some Baby Vicks rub ... but it doesn't really seem to be helping anything. And I'm sorry but it's just not practical to have to suction their noses every 15 minutes or so! LoL. There has to be SOMETHING I can do!

JenMarie2007

Asked by JenMarie2007 at 11:08 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, my doc says to ride it out. And if you BF that can really help them to get over it quicker. :)
    peytonsmommy44

Answer by peytonsmommy44 at 11:10 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I used a humidifier and vicks on his chest and the bottoms of his feet -old wives tale that actually seemed to work for my son - tylenol if a fever comes butotherwise baby vicks under the socks :) good luck =
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:10 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I use "little noses." Be sure to keep the, hydrated. A humidifier may help also. Good luck! I hope everyone feels well soon!
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 11:11 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Breast milk up the nose. A few dross a few times a day will loosen the snot and help suck it out. It will wash out the germs and repair the inflammation in the membranes.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:12 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I get the baby vapor bath, run the vicks humidifier and put adult vicks on myself so my baby can breath it in. The doctor also recommends nasal saline drops to help them breath but I have never used them. and I have also used the baby vicks rub...not sure if it helps or not but it makes me feel better bc i am doing something...ope they all feel better soon!
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 11:12 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Next to the childrens cold medicines they have a bottle of saline drops in a nose squirt bottle. You can give that to your babies as often as needed and it will help clear their noses. Thats what I've been giving my 9 month old, along with .8ml of infant tylenol.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 11:12 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• If you breast feed or have a friend who breast feeds then put some up their nose, use a humidifier, breast feed if at all possible
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• For a four month old I would use a quarter or a little less of a teaspoon of a fever reducer for fever but for the cold symptoms I found a homeopathic med. called Cold 'n Cough 4 Kids, same measurement. It covers sore throat, nasal congestion, cough, sneezing, and runny nose. Homeopathic means that it's natural and works with your natural immune system. And I know that it definitely works. I would also give them some of Enfamil's Poly-Vi-Sol with Iron. It's multivitamin drops for infants & toddlers. I found them at Walmart.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 11:33 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I give my baby tylenol... baby tylenol of course. Vics can be harsh... if ur really concerned call the doc
    momma_alie20

Answer by momma_alie20 at 12:52 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• get the saline drops that you can squirt up their noses and then use a bulb to suck everything out. We are just getting over colds in our house too and it is so hard to see the little ones suffer like that.
    MomsOfTwinGirls

Answer by MomsOfTwinGirls at 2:21 PM on Sep. 17, 2010