Misread ultrasounds

During our ultrasound for our third child, we were told that it was a girl... we were so excited, got new clothes picked out a name and were ready to go! However, I ended up having a late term ultrasound to check out a concern and found out it was in fact, very clearly, a boy. Lucky for us we found out 2 weeks before he was born!

How many of you had a misread ultrasound? I know it happens, but I'm curious to see how common it really is! :-)

HistoryMamaX3

Asked by HistoryMamaX3 at 11:13 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I work for a Gynae/Obstetrician and I'll say we've had about 20% inaccurate gender checks. Sometimes it's just too difficult to see properly.
    CassyzMom

Answer by CassyzMom at 10:03 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• It didn't happen to me (with my first we chose to have a surprise and with my second it was very clearly a boy). BUT I've had three friends it happened to.
    With one they told her they were 75% sure it was a girl, and out came a boy (luckily, they already had one boy, so they didn't have to start over with clothes).
    With the second, they were told they were having a boy, and then had a late-term ultrasound because of complications and it was clear that it was actually a girl.
    With the third, they were told it was a girl. She went into labor a month early, and out came a boy. Her mother had to return all their pink stuff (luckily they hadn't washed it yet) and get boy clothes.

That's why I always say that everyone should have some gender neutral stuff on hand.
    jilby

Answer by jilby at 11:19 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• hahahah,See, she knew and didn't know why you wouldnt listen to her - kids are so smart
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:36 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• omg.. really... I made them show me every week because I had gestational diabetes and had weekly ultrasounds. She finally told me Listen, its a boy -- look and there is NO mistake...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:16 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• maxsmom... it is a great story. My eldest child was 3 at the time and came with me to see the "new" baby. The doctor told her that she was going to have a sister, she looked right at him and said, "No... I'm having a baby brother." We all laughed at her cuteness and spent WEEKS convincing her it was a sister.

Little did we know at the time. :-)
    HistoryMamaX3

Comment by HistoryMamaX3 (original poster) at 11:20 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• my oldest was supposed to be a girl but i just knew it was a boy. four ultrasounds and they kept saying girl. i told everyone not to get girl clothes. they didnt listen. i had a boy. i won. haha
    samsbaby78

Answer by samsbaby78 at 11:27 PM on Sep. 16, 2010