whats the best way to potty train?

i have a 5 year old neice that we just cant get potty trained so we put pull ups then she stared to go the bathroom the about a day later she stared again to go in ur underwear . oh and she will go pee but not poop (sorry about the wording ) . are prombule is her pooping in here underwhere .

lette24

Asked by lette24 at 11:16 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I know I'll probably be bashed... but I have found the best way is to bribe! I have potty candy as I call it... StarBurst fruit chews... and if they want one, use the potty, and after a couple months I give them less (only when they ask), and soon they need none and are big enough to use potty and not need candy to do so... but I keep up, do not break what I am doing no matter how much they whine, and be willing to walk away when they don't want to give a potty for the candy...
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 11:22 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• At 5 yrs old, she should have control over this. Have her parents spoken to the Dr about this? could there be underlying issues? If so, that would be a totally different process!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 11:23 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• we have bribed her we told her she could go to the store and get candy we even told her that we would take her to lady gaga lol she is a huge fan ,
    lette24

Comment by lette24 (original poster) at 11:25 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Rewards. Tell her big girls go on the potty.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 7:22 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• try the potty baby I dont remember the name... dont buy the $100.00 one... just anyone that uses the potty... train her with the doll the doll has to potty so does she the doll will have accidents and so will she....... I dont know if it'll work but its worth the try...
    meNmine

Answer by meNmine at 9:44 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Have you talked with her doctor??? Perhaps she has a medical problem......
    I did the bribery thing...small presents...got pretty bad when we would be in the store and he would say..'Ooooo, I poop & pee in the potty for that!'....LOL
    Carey2006

Answer by Carey2006 at 10:31 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• hmmm by 5 there really should be no excuses... maybe she needs to see the dr.. It must really suck for mom to have to lay down her 5 year old to wipe her butt....

xanayda

Answer by xanayda at 12:17 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• i got her a video borrowed it from the library about potty training. that worked for my daugther.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 9:39 PM on Sep. 28, 2010