Out of control step-daughter

My stepdaughter is out of control, because of her personal issues we can no longer get visitation of her and I have been monitoring her internet use from my computer. She is addicted to facebook and has been for the past 2 years and she is only 12 she claims to be 18 finally had just gotten her off my space now this. Her mother is a basket case and hooked on pain pills and doesnt seem to give a hoot not a very good influence. I need to support my husband, it is his only daughter but she is out of control!!!!

kriszaz

Asked by kriszaz at 11:17 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• How else is she out of control though - ?? maybe I missed something?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:19 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Could she come live with you guys? Then delete her social network pages.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:21 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Unfortunately unless you are prepared to go to court to seek full custody there really is not much you can do to control your step daughter. Getting custody from mom is going to be an up hill battle. In most courts unless you can prove severe neglect or abuse it is unlikely you are going to win. I have been involved in a number of these types of situations and it took years to get resolution on custody issues even when the mother had her children removed from her custody dozens of times for neglect or abuse previously. You might try informing Facebook of her status as a minor, since only adults are suppose to be able to hold an account; but this may only delay things as she may open another facebook with a different email address. You also could try talking to her mother about setting up some safeguards on her computer at home.
    phoenix1963

Answer by phoenix1963 at 11:51 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• If her mother is a basket case and on pain pills all the time, no wonder she is hooked on Facebook. It's probably her escape (I'm not saying that her being on there is right, because I think it's wrong.) She's only twelve, her account needs to be deleted. But her pretending to be 18 is not a good thing. There are people on there that will take advantage of underaged kids. I wish there was someway that Facebook can tell how old you are before an account it opened. As far as her mother goes, something seriously needs to be done. Have you thought of taking her in, or getting CPS into the picture. She's only 12, she's not ready to take care of herself. She's probably going to wind up in some type of trouble before its over with.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:23 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• it is time that your other half steps in becomes the dad he is get her start talking to him find out why she wants to be 18 instead 12 .because 18 have to leave home and be on their own ,yes it okay to make rules my kids who are adults will tell you i was one mean bitch mom i took no crab from any of them 4 boys and 1 girl and good kick in pants won't hurt either
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 12:32 AM on Sep. 17, 2010