Have you taken the time to teach your kids how to swim/take a swim class?

With so many drownings lately, it seems, I would hope parents would make it a priority. It breaks my heart to hear about it in the news.

HeatheranninSP

Asked by HeatheranninSP at 11:21 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Kids' Health

• DD loves the water! She's been in weekly swimming lessons since she was 17 months old. We would have started sooner, but the classes were full. We've already had one experience where the breath control skills have made a big difference!
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 3:09 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I want my boys to be really comfortable in water and I don't want to worry about their safety. They just turned one and I'm thinking about finding lessons for them before next summer!
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:22 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• My mom and I taught y son (21/2) how to swim this summer! He does such a great job! We still watch him and he has to wear a swim shirt (with floatie in it) if there is not an adult with him in the pool or he want's to swim in the deep end. I think all kids should know how to swim
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 11:25 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• We had a pool and my husband taught both our girls how to swim. One took to the water right away, and swam under at about 1 1/2. We were always sure they could swim, and still wore something to protect them as well. It only take but a minute.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 11:24 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• this summer I taught my 2 year old DD to dog paddle and go under while holding her breath she is doing great and no I do not turn my back on her.
    nikkole42

Answer by nikkole42 at 11:25 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Yes. It is negligent not to do so. Though my 3 and 5 year old need much more supervision than my 9 year old (she swims like a fish).
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:32 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• My 3 older kids taught themselves to swim in our backyard pool just like I did as a kid. This summer they were jumping off the diving board and into the deep end at the public pool. My 4yo doesn't know how to swim yet but we no longer have a pool so it's not really a problem. We won't be going swimming any time soon.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:44 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Not yet....both of my kids will be old enough for the Y toddler swim classes next year so that's when I plan on sending them :)
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 6:40 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• We took our son to Water Babies when he was 15 months old, and then we're planning on him taking a swimming class when he turns 3.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 7:27 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Yes, my 2 are in swim lessons. THey love it. My 5 year old is swimming, and my two year old can doggie paddle.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 10:12 AM on Sep. 17, 2010