What things did you look for in choosing a pediatrician?

elizabiza

Asked by elizabiza at 11:24 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Health

• references from parents I trust.
    hours.
    sick entrance AND well entrance.
    personality.
    phone hours, how long until they answered with a real person.
    availbity to nurses and/or dr. via phone at night and on weekends.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 11:26 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• references from parents
    Background check and education
    urgent care and after hours doctors.
    If they were able to be in the hospital when my child arrives and if they had access to care for them in that hospital.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 11:30 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Which medical school attend and in what year
    Flexibily of hours/ emergency visits/ same day visits for sick kids
    Which hospitals s/he is affiliated with
    My pedi is a lactation consultant and I EBF
    Policies on vaccine schedules
    Special areas of study or certification (nutritionists, allergists, etc)
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:32 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Hours
    Age/experience
    Where they studied
    and if their views matched my own.

like, I am a laid back Mom. I do not rush my kids to the doctor everytime they so much as sneeze. I want a doctor who respects my views and also one who doesn't give me a script just to pacify me. Give me meds if and when my kids needs them, but not just because I came in.

My kids have each only had 1 ear infection, we do not do flu shots and yet they don't get the flu, and have never really been "sick". My son was hospitialized overnight as an infant from a bad stomach bug, he was maybe 1, and he will be 10 this year. Hasn't been sick since
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 11:41 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Well, we don't vaccinate and prefer natural approaches rather than medical ones, so our first requirement was a doctor that would abide by those wishes.

Second, I wanted one who I was comfortable with.

Beyond that, I didn't really worry about the other stuff...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:59 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I asked MY doctor who he recommended since I love him. He told me the pediatrician that his son sees. So I figured if its a doctor's doctor than they must be good! Turns out, she is wonderful! She actually recommended an alternative vaccine schedule when I was unsure about my son's vaccinations (which many dr.s are against it) and she is very sweet and gentle with my son. Also very smart and professional. I didn't interview anyone or anything like that. Word of mouth is sometimes your best bet.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:02 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I went with the same pedi I went to as a child, (my brother did too) and my nephew goes there too. the people in the office still remember me. i love them
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 12:08 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I used a pediatrician recommended to me by my obgyn cuz she was pregnant too. after a while i went to someone else just cuz of personality. this one now is nicer and takes my concerns more seriously and relates to me more
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 1:00 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• the feeling i get when i enter the office. how i feel after the visit. I always pray before i go in and i pray to find one i like. i've only had one we didnt go back to
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 7:29 PM on Sep. 19, 2010