is it right that I get charged child endangerment?

I have always prided myself in being a good mom and my husband is a good dad also.I work graveyard and the other morning my 2 yr old awoke at 7am and I put her in bed with us.I usually get up with my 10yr old son before he goes to school but that morning I slept threw hearing him leave (my husband was asleep also).he usually locks the door and is responsible.Well that morning he forgot to lock it and I woke up with my daughter not next to me.At that moment I had a knock at the door and one of my neighbors had my daughter- she had gotten out and was by the road! I felt horrible and that day we bought extra child locks and put up a tall baby gate for the outside door.sm1 called child services and said this has happened twice- not true.I have NEVER had my children unattended- it was just a bad morning that led to this happening.They said it can lead to a felony charge- but she sees that is was just one bad mistake.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm sorry people are bashing you, we all know it could of had a bad outcome but I think it was cowerdly for some one to report you instead of talk to you. You will recover. Good luck!
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 12:02 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• First I believe you are a good mom but this happens it seems more often with parents whom work nights. Thank god she is ok but if anything would of happen it would of been awful. I am not sure how anyone with kids works nights unless there is someone to tend to the kids whether it be daycare or another parent. You do need to sleep. My friend had this happen on 2 occasions where her 1 yr old was out walking the streets. She was a wonderful mom but EXHAUSTED! Working nights is not a cure to save on day care cause those LO are quite active. Hopefully they will look at the fact that nothing like this has ever happened and you can tell them things you have done to prevent it. Be honest admit your mistake as you are on here. I know you feel bad. I am not trying to criticize you as people have to work when it works for them and their family. Good luck!!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:52 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Do I think being charged with child endangerment is a little much? Maybe. But the responsibility to make sure the door is locked should not be put on your 10 year old son. And it seems like you might have had this problem before with your 2 year old escaping or opening doors because she obviously went right for the door. In all honesty, this situation could have turned out MUCH MUCH worse. You should be thanking your lucky stars right now. I do think you were negligent to bring your DD in bed with you when you were so exhausted that you A. didn't hear your son get up and leave for school, B. didn't hear your daughter get out of bed, and C. didn't hear her go out the door. I realize it was just a mistake, but this could have been a really really big mistake. She could have gotten really hurt, kidnapped, or even worse. Hopefully you have learned your lesson.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:55 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• annonymous- can we say a little touchy with the WITH!!! GEEZ

i have heard tons of stories of kids getting out- the best of parents make mistakes and kids at that age know how to unlock doors, crawl out of there bed, you name it! It can happen to any one of us.You know what went wrong and are trying to prevent it so I think you will be fine.As far as someone to lie to the welfare office that is just wrong. i hope when they make a mistake it is thrown in there face.It's not like you were out partying or purposely ignored your child.
    lovmyhubby

Answer by lovmyhubby at 11:58 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• First off, do not overexplain yourself to CPS. Get an attorney, they can remove your children while they investigate. Second, DON'T SPEAK TO ANYONE ABOUT THIS!!!! People will twist your words. If they are threatening you with charges, no longer speak to them. Protect yourself. They can't charge you without information. And I'm pretty sure the child endangerment would have to result in death or injury, or possessing drugs, or driving drunk in order for it to stick. I'm telling you from experience, shut your mouth! You know you are good mom, you don't need to prove it to anyone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• my sister, when she was little, used to "escape" all the time. My parents sometimes had her on a rope.
    I am sure you are a good mom. You can't be watching them constantly. I wouldn;t worry about CPS - they have real problems to worry about.
    Lovey1234

Answer by Lovey1234 at 12:10 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• i agree with hill2...
    and I think that if they see that you have taken steps to have extra security on the outside doors then you'll be fine.
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:56 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Who said that it was one bad mistake? If it was the police, I doubt anything will happen, mistakes can happen and do happen. When my son was 4, it was summer time and school was out. It was after 7 pm at night and he went missing. I had to wind up calling the police, I kept my cool, while my daughter was hysterical. Anyway he had put his bookbag on and went out the house and around the corner and somebody saw him, thank God! Nothing was made out of it, and it never happened again. We put up extra locks ourselves and never had any more trouble. Since it's never happened before. I wouldn't worry about it. I doubt anything will come out of that. At least your child was safe, that's what matters.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 11:56 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I think that the big issue is that you are tired in the Mornings and you need to be able to rest. However, it is not the responsibility of your kids to lay around or take care of themselves while you sleep. It seems that it might be a good idea to hire someone to watch your child for a few hours each Morning. Maybe you could get your Son off to school and then have a sitter/family member come over to watch your child for three- four hours until you could get some rest. Then you could get up and spend some time with her and then lay down again when she napped. Good Luck.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 11:57 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Things like this really happen often. My little brother used to get up in the middle of the night and walk around outside naked at 3 am whenhe was like 4 years old. We had to put locks that he couldn't reach on all the doors.

The police have bigger fish to fry. You should be fine. Gates and locks are a parent's BFF.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:01 AM on Sep. 17, 2010