Curly Hair

Do you ladies w/ curly hair prefer seeing a stylist who has curly hair, and understands how to cut/care for it on a personal level?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 11:52 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• My mom, aunt, and daughter have really curly hair and I do quite well with them. I have straight hair so sometimes people think I don't know about curly hair. Hair is all the same, but there is a note to be taken with curly hair. It has a hard time holding protien and moisture and not to cut to much because it looks shorter! When stylists screw up on those two things it makes people feel like they don't understand. I love to work with curly hair! It's fun! I hate to see people try to get rid of it!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:57 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• lol
    yeah, that's my issue- their being unaware of cutting procedures. A) must be wet B) must NOT take off more than I say! It WILL be 3in shorted when it is dry!
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 12:01 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I would love to find someone good with curly hair, but I haven't so far. I think I will look for someone with curly hair from now on. I never get my hair cut because I always get terrible cuts. So I end up growing it for a long time and then get so sick of it I get it all chopped off. UGH! I need someone good.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:02 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• yes
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:05 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Here's a trick...if you know you need a good inch off, tell the stylist you need a half inch off. This frustrates me with stylists! I do a lot of hands on training and it's not that difficult to understand! Yet they still cut too much! Everyone of my curly haired clients has a horror story to tell me!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:07 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I have cut my own for years because when I ask for an inch, I mean ONE INCH. Not chop off 3 and give me farrah layers! OMG, you should see what it looks like layered- I could have slapped a bitch! lol
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 12:08 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I have LOTS of horror stories. That is why my hair is so stinkin' long.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:10 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I straighten my hair before I go in to a stylist, as I do most days, and before they get it wet I tell them where I want it to lay when it's done. That way they can see how much it shrinks up as it dries. And one thing I have learned from getting my hair cut by my step mom is to tell them not to rinse out all the conditioner, it helps your hair stay wet longer and it's easier to cut.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:42 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• lol, I know what it's like with curly hair, I have curly hair, and have had clients with curly hair.

The BEST thing a stylist can do is see the elasticity of the hair BEFORE washing it. this can give them a good estimate of where to cut because it shows just how much the hair will curl back. (some curls an inch will look like 3 inches, while others it'll look like 1 1/2 inches).

Also show the client in the mirror while the hair is dry so you BOTH have an understanding of where that "inch" is going to go. Some people's inch can be another's 2 inches. etc.

my daughter has EXTREMELY curly hair. so even a half inch, can look like almost 3 inches. (that's a LOT on a two year old, lol).

I guess in a sense you have to know and understand curly hair. Not necessarily have it, but know and work with it. Some people have that skill other's don't.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:42 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Also, don't feel shy about asking the salon for someone with a good reference with cutting curly hair.
    xxhazeldovexx