how should my baby sleep???

ok well i know that its not good to have ur baby sleep there tummy but the hospital told me that to have my child sleep on his back. which i am more prone to listen to the hospital and i will be talkn to my dr just to make sure but friends of mine told me they should sleep on there side i never heard of this so i want to know how common they said it could cause SIDS and there son had died having them sleep on there back and choking on the spit up i dont want to loose my son but how many other moms have there babys sleep back nothing happening thanks

caspers_mommy

Asked by caspers_mommy at 12:35 AM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ON HIS BACK. Preferably with you right beside him. Co-sleeping reduces the risk of SIDS death. And breastfeeding will reduce your risk of spitup and choking...so give it some thought.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:46 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I was told to keep my baby on her back. I did. NO MATTER WHAT....ALWAYS! Check with your DR but I was told by the hospital that babies who sleep on their backs ONLY, have something like an 85% less likliness to die of SIDS. The hosp also said that having baby sleep on her side was really no diff than on her tummy, I guess they are more likly to roll to tummy or something. As far as your friends who lost their baby, I am sooo sorry and I feel for them. SIDS is not choking on spit up, that is something diff. But I totaly understand the worry! I had my baby co sleep with me the first three months, then in a bassinet for a couple of months before I moved her to her own room. I still don't sleep very soundly. If baby is near you, you will hear if he has any problems breathing or choking. I know I woke up for every little sound she made. Keep that baby on his back!
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 12:55 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I have heard that the number of deaths due to choking on spit-up is relatively small when compared with the number that die from sids. I placed my son on his side for a while (he has a horrible reflux/spit-up problem), but then found an elevated sleep positioner that we used to place him on his back, but he was still inclined to reduce spit-up. We also kept him right by the bed and even moved him into our bed until he was 3 months old. Now he sleeps in a crib in his room, but we have a monitor for noise and movement.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 1:08 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• My babies have always been more comfertable on their side. I do agree that co-sleepung is the best though!!!!!!!!
    sscar_az

Answer by sscar_az at 12:33 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Mine sleeps on his back, and when he started having reflux (with really bad spit up) I began to worry about the back sleeping. SO I made myself a pot (or 2) of coffee put him to bed and sat up all night watching him (lol) when he spit up he automatically turned his head to the side and never choked. So I am very comfortable with back sleeping which is recomended by most Dr.s
    Med109

Answer by Med109 at 2:53 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Mine sleeps only on his back. When he first came home though he did sleep on his side a lot... which isn't as good as the back but is safer then tummy sleeping.
    I disagree with co-sleeping. Most people don't do it safe and the baby is at risk for injury from falling off the bed and suffication due to pillows and blanket or an over tired parent rolling on top of them. And co-sleeping won't prevent SIDS.
    If you are very worried, like I was, and not sleeping well yourself... buy a infant movement monitor by bebesounds. We got one and it put my mind at ease. Never have had a false alarm. It alarms if there is no movement for 20 seconds.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:10 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• The SIDS Alliance/First Candle and American Academy of Pediatrics recommend back sleeping. I just read that some experts are also recommending a fan in the room to dirculate air (??). There is a great product on the market that promotes back sleeping and helps babies sleep better and longer on their back. Check out www.magicsleepsuit.com. It was designed by a mom and pediatric physical therapist. the site is full of good information and great testimonials.
    Anonymous