how do I make my daughter love her younger brother???

My 13 yr old daughter cant stand her 3 yr older brother she hates him so bad that she wants to move in with her grandparents!!! Can someone please give me some advice? My heart is broken over this:(

boobies321

Asked by boobies321 at 11:57 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• You can't make her love him. You CAN treat them fairly and show her more attention so she isn't as jealous of him though. Even if you think you are treating them the same, she doesn't think so.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:59 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Try to get them to spend time together and do something productive.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 12:00 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• No one can force another person to love.

She is probably jealous and acting out. Plan "girl time" just for the 2 of you. Go out to breakfast together, get your nails or hair done together, so see a movie, so shopping....whatever it is that SHE is into.

Also keep in mind that at 13 she is a hormonal nightmare, and she is fully aware of just Where and How her baby brother came to be and is probably embarrased or grossed out about that. Teenagers love to talk about sex but they hate to think about their parents doing that.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 12:03 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Very helpfull ladies Thank you very much!
    boobies321

Comment by boobies321 (original poster) at 12:03 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I agree. She's prob hormonal and jealous.
    DandGsMommy08

Answer by DandGsMommy08 at 12:10 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• for 10 yrs she was your little girl and now she has to share you with some one else ,this is hard for her but she will find out he can be her best friend you can yell scream till you turn blue in the face let her stay with grandparents on the weekends ,but what she might need is some mom time so make day out of the week just for her ,praise her each time she is nice to her younger brother just thank-you she will come around but it will take time and good luck
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 1:06 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• You cant make her love him, encourage, and it will change in time.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 7:25 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Have you asked her why she can't stand him? I'd start there, and see if there are ways you can eliminate some of the anger or resentment she has towards her brother.
    I'd also try to spend a little more time with my daughter one on one, like someone else mentioned a mother daughter day, going to the salon and doing nails or going shopping and to lunch.
    My older son use to get really annoyed with his little brother (they are 4 years apart), now they are almost inseperable, and hang out together a lot. My older son's friends accept my younger son, he's sort of everyone's little brother these days. I think for most they eventually grow out of it.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 10:38 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• The biggest of siblings fighting and saying they hate each other, usually turn up being best of friends when they get older, don't worry mom, just engrave in her the importance of family.

Answer by older at 11:55 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• you cant make her love anyone. but it does seem VERY extreme. Perhaps some family counseling is in order.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 11:57 AM on Sep. 18, 2010