Advice to stop a child from slapping.

My son is 22 months old. And just recently he has started throwing more tantrums and he will also try to slap you in the face if you ask something of him that he doesnt want to do. I try to stay concistent with him but nothing seems to work. Any advice?

NicoleAnn26

Asked by NicoleAnn26 at 12:12 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Grab his hand/arm when he starts to swing it and tell him that Hitting is not a nice way to be friends. If he continues, put him in Time Out. After he has calmed down explain to him that hitting hurts Mommy's feelings and that you want to be friends, but friends don't hit
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 12:14 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Firm up, get aggressive about enforcing your rules, grab his little hand when he goes to wing it at you and ask him very sternly just what he thinks hes doing? Tell him you know he was about to slap you. Tell him it is absolutely unacceptable. Then ask him, would he want you to do that to him? no obviously not. Then what makes him think he can do it to you? Mom if he can see how angry you are at this behavior he'll probably stop right then and never do it again. I see too many moms in this situation just get exasperated and flustered trying to figure out what to do to stop them. Make sure you tell him that IF he slaps you he is getting punished (time out is my method) and that he knows what he will be missing by serving out his punishment. I hear people say all the time they are too young but they are not. They hear and absorb everything. Don't underestimate. Be the bad guy. Thats my advice.
    GoldenLinds

Answer by GoldenLinds at 12:19 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Stay consistant. And Time out is a must
    momma_alie20

Answer by momma_alie20 at 12:47 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• i know this is really not a good way to do it but it seems to work for my daughter when she slaps me i smack her butt or her hand and say you do not smack . that is bad. in a firm voice she normally laughs at me but when i say to her again you do not smack that was bad she normally screams for about a minute and then i get her out because she is only 21 months old
    luv2run88

Answer by luv2run88 at 1:16 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• TELL HIM HE BETTER WISE UP HE WOULD NOT WANT THE SAME THING DONE TO HIM
    LoVe4Free

Answer by LoVe4Free at 6:17 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Grab his hand and very sternly say NO. THEN, put him in his crib for 5 minutes. close the door and say that is not allowed. Nothing more. wait 5 min got back and do it each time he hits.
    cardinal58

Answer by cardinal58 at 11:03 PM on Sep. 17, 2010