Armed forces question

My daughter wants to know which part of the armed forces earns more in the beginning? We have sort of a bet. i say the air force. She thinks it is the Navy.

violetz

Asked by violetz at 12:35 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

• They all have the same payscale.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:36 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• they have the same pay for all the branches...
    if you're an E1 in the airforce you get the same pay as an E1 in the army or marines or navy....
    now, I think that promotions are harder to come by in the navy and air force then they are in the army... the smaller branches are much more competitive.
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 12:38 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I think what my daughter was thinking of was thier sign-on pay. I think it is the army reserves that gives the most when someone signs up.
    That is the one she is interested in the most is the reserves. She wants to be a fire fighter eventually though. She thinks joining up will give her discipline.
    violetz

Comment by violetz (original poster) at 1:53 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• As far as sign on bonuses go, it really depends on what her MOS, length of contract, vacancy in her MOS, and how quickly she is willing to ship out. There are too many variables to say "Navy gives higher bonuses, or Army gives higher bonuses", etc. And she may not see that bonus for awhile either. Depending on the amount she may receive some after she arrives at her first duty station and the rest a few years into her contract.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:36 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• thank you, she says she is more interested now in maybe the army reserves. She is talking about working on running to get a faster running time.
    I worry about her asthma, she doesn't need to use a inhaler every day. just once in a while.I told her I will go walking with her while she runs . lol, who knows, eventually I might be able to run with her eventually.
    She may not weigh enough and may need to gain weight. We will have to talk to a recruiter soon I guess.
    thanks again
    violetz

Comment by violetz (original poster) at 3:39 PM on Sep. 17, 2010