If you went into business with a friend and found out that friend was stealing from the business would you press charges?

In a business class I took this summer the instructor told us about a partnership he had with a friend. It kind of reminded me of a similar incident with me and a friend. He said he and his best friend open a small restaurant. He did most of the investing because it was really his dream and the friend decided it sounded like a great investment and besides he was helping out a friend.

Well he, the instructor, ran the back (cooking and all) and the friend ran the front. One of the employees was also close to the instructor and informed him his partner was stashing money in his pocket and not charging some customers.

Needless to say six months later they decided to close the restaurant before going into great debt. Come to find out the friend wasn't paying bills. The instructor said they are not friends today and he would like to reopen restaurant but as a sole proprietor. He seem to be very hurt and disappointed.

RoyalLady

Asked by RoyalLady at 12:42 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• Yes, I would! WTF? Anyone who steals from you is NO friend.
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 1:24 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I would say yes because they did something horrible. What makes it worst is that they could do it to someone they're pretending to care about. I just could not let my friend get away with that. If they could do it to me, they would likely do it to another person later too.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 1:45 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• yes...because if they are stealing like that they are not a friend anymore, or not acting like one.
    Mortiferouslatt

Answer by Mortiferouslatt at 2:22 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• If they are Christians, it needs to go before the church. That is the bibical responsible action God tells us to take. If not, then yes, court is were issues are resolved. By letting the man go, the man is free to repeat the same actions with others. Plus, the man caused him to have a debt he should not have had to pay. The man isn't held accountable for his actions. Apparently, your Professor is carrying the guilt that belongs to the other man. I do hope he will continue on with his dream. It will surely make him wiser in his business dealings! What is a friend? How long did he know him? Had he seen him in any other business adventures? Was he successful? The Bible says, " You will know them by the fruits they produce." How was he in other relationships? Family? These are ways to tell where their coming from...The same goes for your situation.
    Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 9:48 AM on Sep. 17, 2010