is drinking coffee (cappuccino) ok while nursing ??

not 2-3 cups everyday. but one glass (preferably a tall one from starbucks) once a week. will that harm my baby in any way? like give him tummy ache or something??

cookie269

Asked by cookie269 at 12:49 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have your coffee. If you notice that it is affecting baby, stop or have a smaller cup.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:43 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Have your coffee. If baby reacts, you know you cannot have it again.

General rule; Eat and drink AS YOU LIKE. Only drop something if baby reacts.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:59 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• just don't do it like, an hour before you nurse or express. that's what i was always told.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 12:56 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I think it takes two hours for one drink (alcoholic, caffeinated or otherwise) to dissipate from your system. I would think as long as you did it in-between feedings that you would be just fine.
    kamsmommy17

Answer by kamsmommy17 at 1:58 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• ur fine. Many moms are really anal.... but it isnt bad no
    momma_alie20

Answer by momma_alie20 at 12:51 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• it is 2 hours I know I went out for a drink with my dh before i di i found a time table on the net I was only going to have a beer and it said 2 hours I pumped before I left and had fed him the milk I made after I had the beer I pumped and dumped.
    nikkole42

Answer by nikkole42 at 2:17 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• You should be fine unless your baby has sensitivity to something in you coffee. I drink coffee everyday and nurse.

martat

Answer by martat at 9:41 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I always do! I've bf 7 babies and I love my coffee! If it bothered my baby I would probably not drink it, but it has not seemed to ever affect any of mine.
    joyful_mama

Answer by joyful_mama at 11:48 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• it's fine- it's better if you drink the caffiene not too close to BFing though- like an hour before or something... so BF and then enjoy, by the time they are ready to BF again it will be fine.
    MomsOfTwinGirls

Answer by MomsOfTwinGirls at 2:25 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• That should not be a problem at all. I have a cup or 2 of coffee every day and it has never bothered my baby at all. Some babies are extra sensitive to caffeine, so just give it a try, and if baby gets fussy, back off and try again in another month (it is more likely to bother a younger/smaller baby)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:43 PM on Sep. 17, 2010