How do you decide what holidays to spend with extended family?

I love the Fall and Winter seasons. I can not decide which holiday (Thanksgiving or Christmas) the girls and I should spend with my parents. HELP!!

RoyalLady

Asked by RoyalLady at 12:51 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Holidays

• When I was 7 mos preg with my last baby, I really didn't feel like chasing toddlers up and down the stairs at granpas house while the older kids ran around unsupervised like crazy people. So I stayed home for thanksgiving, but whe xmas came around I was 9 mos, and just had a SMALL get together with SIL and FIL family. Less kids, low key.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:53 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• honesty. ..we can only decide based on money. We are in CA. . my DH's family is in CA. .my family is in Indiana. .. we can't afford to fly out to Indiana. .thus we have the holidays with my in laws. it sucks.
    ColtsFan1912

Answer by ColtsFan1912 at 12:55 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Most of my extened family is in one city (on the other side of the country) but there are a few relatives that live elsewhere so we all kind of decide which one works for everyone to all get together at once.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:56 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• we take turns... well, we usually do thanksgiving at home and anyone who wants to visit us is welcome to... we take turns who's we go to for Christmas and New Years...
    but this year we all live a lot closer together (for the first time ever!) both sides of the family will be here for thanksgiving and we are thinking about whether or not to drive down to my family's a little after Christmas (we'll have a wee one in tow by then)
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 12:59 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Which traditions do you most want to pass on to your kids? In our house we used to switch every year. These days, because I have a specific Christmas tradition I want to foster, Thanksgiving is at MIL, and Christmas is at our house.

MIL family likes Thanksgiving to be exactly the same every year, and that's okay. I like change. So my tradition is to pick a different country each year and the kids and I research thoroughly so we can celebrate according to that country's traditions, including food, songs, stories, gift traditions, and decorations. When we did Italy, my DD learned some carols in Italian to share with the family, and we made lasagna.
    WyndenSkie

Answer by WyndenSkie at 1:02 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• @WyndenSkie. That sounds great. I think I am going to try that.

I wish those of you who have great distance between you and your love ones could be closer for the holidays. But I am sure you all still have a great holiday.
    RoyalLady

Comment by RoyalLady (original poster) at 1:36 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• We use to alternate thanksgiving between my mom's and his. Then on Christmas we would do christmas eve with dd's great grandparents, christmas with my mom because his mom typically goes to florida for christmas. If she is in NY we stop over the day after christmas, or do a special birthday/christmas day with her
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:43 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I've never had to make that decision. We don't go anywhere for the holidays. My husband usually works both Thanksgiving and Christmas. Our extended family is also too far away to drive for just 1 day and my husband can't take days off around the holidays (he works for the airlines so it's the busiest time of the year for them). Now we live on the other side of the country from our families so it's a moot point.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:48 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• do all holidays wth both sides his na dmine
    regian19832002

Answer by regian19832002 at 12:52 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• We always spend Christmas with my family, and have been visiting my husbands family for Thanksgiving. I would never miss my families Christmas get togethers!
    Kainalu55

Answer by Kainalu55 at 3:13 AM on Sep. 19, 2010