when can i get my daughters ears pierced? where should we go?

pinkdena

Asked by pinkdena at 1:16 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I heard some advice that its best to get ears pierced when shes old enough to take care of them herself.
    My SIL said her mom pierced her ears like, ten times before she was like six because she kept ripping them out on accident.

however i see the benifit of doing it young.
    I suggest going somewhere that is experienced in piercings... ask around
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 1:20 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• i was thinking going to an actual piercer like the girl that does all mine...
    pinkdena

Comment by pinkdena (original poster) at 1:22 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• they have to be at least six weeks old and have up to date shots at that point. I would say a professional piercer is a good idea. just please.... don't go to Wal mart. i have heard some bad stories about the piercing there.
    young-not-dumb

Answer by young-not-dumb at 1:24 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• for a baby...her pediatrician might do it. i wouldn't recommend claires...they're not that good, no matter what 14 year old girls say. you could go to a tattoo/piercing shop. call first and see if they'll do it. i know some around me will and they're really good and clean, but then there are some that aren't comfortable with it because the kids could pull them out or infection is more likely. or because the child isn't choosing the piercing herself.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 1:25 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I took my daughter to a friend of mine at Walmart when she was 3 months old. That's the youngest they will do it and she worked in jewelry which was a plus. If you don't trust Walmart you can try any store that does piercing including the one you normally go to. Just check the age restrictions and whatnot. The only reason Walmart waits until they are 3 months old is because they NEED to see the shot record beforehand and you need to stay in the store for an hour after just to make sure they have no reaction to the metal!
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 1:29 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• They will pierce a little one's ears at 2 months, no younger that I've heard of. I would think Claire's or Piercing Pagoda or anything like that would be just fine, you can even buy the ear piercing kit yourself at Wal-Mart...obviously it's not that difficult if you can do it yourself at home. My Mom got mine pierced at 3 months at a Claire's, mine were and still are fine! :)
    kamsmommy17

Answer by kamsmommy17 at 1:56 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• They say to wait until at least 6 months old because they are growing so rapidly if you do it sooner, they may not stay pierced where you wanted them. I've done Wal-mart and a place in the mall.
    Sarasmoonflower

Answer by Sarasmoonflower at 8:41 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• i took my dd 4wks ago to claires..i called around before i took her..the woman there specialised in babies so i felt more comfortable..i would however never take a baby that small to a tattoo shop to get their ears pierced..thats way to harsh for a baby so small that gun claires uses is so quick and simple and at a tattoo shop they have to force the needle threw...my buddy owns a tattoo shop that i worked in for two years and def not somewhere i would take my baby..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I disagree with piercing infants, but if you DO decide to, definately take her to a licensed piercer that uses a needle rather then a gun. And I'd be wary of anywhere that required proof of immunization.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:03 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I don't know what age places will do it.. But I think it should be done when she can say "mommy I want my ears pierced". Ask your ped. about it. I know dd's does it.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 3:58 PM on Sep. 17, 2010