How to protect your kids from molestation

I was talking to my Mom about this today. I want to put my boys in cub scouts but I'm so paranoid about putting them in a bad situation. My mom tried to tell me that it wont be like sending them to a stranger, becaus eyou'll know the person... etc etc and you should go with your instincts. but I know that sometimes its the person you least expect.

My boys are only 1 so I have sometime to figure this out

how do you handle this?

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 1:16 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• I was molested by my babysitter's brother when I was 5, and I didn't tell. Why? Because I thought it was my fault. I don't ever remember my parents telling me anything about good or bad touching, you have to start early. They need to know what is appropriate and you need to empower them with the ability to say no if they are uncomfortable and to tell you or another adult they trust.

You can't lock your kids away, like others have said there is danger everywhere your best defense is educating!
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 11:07 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• i guess you just have to talk to your kids and teach them about appropriate behavior and let them know that they can come to you if they feel uncomfortable about anything.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 1:20 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I think these are things that kids should be prepared for. I'm not saying it's best to scare them or explain in details the horrible things that happen but to make sure they know what is appropriate touching, etc. and make sure they know they should tell you if they ever find themselves in a situation that makes them uncomfortable. These things can happen anywhere not just in cub scouts so your kids should always know what to do.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:22 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• @erinwhitt, agreed
    ElsaSalsaaa

Comment by ElsaSalsaaa (original poster) at 1:22 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• @jessicarae787 yes i agree with all of that. and yeah I know, i was using cub scouts as an example but I know, unfortuanly, it happens anywhere and everywhere :C

what age do you all think is the right age to start teaching them that those bad things can happen like, i just want to know at what ages what is the appropriate things to teach them, you know, age approrpiate explanations and all that. anyone have any idea??
    ElsaSalsaaa

Comment by ElsaSalsaaa (original poster) at 1:27 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• This topic scares me because at least 1 in 4 women is molested or sexually assaulted at some point in her life. Some estimates are much higher. As the mother of a daughter, I have no idea how to combat those statistics. Don't all moms teach their kids good touch/bad touch? Don't all parents do their best to make sure their kids are with good people? Don't all parents supervise their kids' activities to make sure they are safe?

That number scares the crap out of me, and as a result my kids don't get left with anyone. I don't know how I'll feel when it comes time for school :(
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:33 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I think its never to early to teach good and bad touching. Way to many weirdos. Its sad but true. Even the ones you would never expect, like family members. When explaining good and bad touching, also make sure to explain that they should tell you if anything makes them feel uncomfortable and that they can trust you to tell. But you can't keep you kids from trying to enjoy things out of fear. Thats no way to live.
    Carol936

Answer by Carol936 at 7:36 AM on Sep. 17, 2010