GD Diet?

If you have/had Gestational Diabetes, what kind of diet did they put you on?

What kind of things were okay and were not?

hsmominky

Asked by hsmominky at 1:31 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had to eat every 2-3 hours and I was allowed so many carb servings/meal. I could pretty much eat any veggie I wanted at any time - so carrots and cucumbers with some ranch became my friend! I generally had and egg and toast for breakfast (no juice ever - too much sugar), midmorning I had a snack (all snacks had to have a protein and 1 serving of carbs (15 g), peanut butter crackers, cheese and crackers, yogurt, apple with peanut butter, etc.), for lunch I would generally have a BLT with lots of lettuce and tomato on whole wheat bread, afternoon snack, supper I would have whatever we were having just go low on the carbs and pile on the veggies, evening snack (1/2 peanut butter sandwich and a glass of milk generally). With my 2nd I wasn't gaining weight and had to add another right before bed snack. No sweets, no juices, limit fruits and breads.

Answer by missanc at 10:02 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Just have to count your carb. limit yourself to rice, pasta, bread, potatos etc. I eat a lot fo veggies and can eat lean meats. It's not really bad. I suggest you go to nutrian class, it really helps me to understand how to read lables and what to look for when you buy stuff. Usually my breakfast is one egg, 1 tbs of peanut butter with 2 slice of low carb toasted bread total can't go over 30g of carb. They gave me 2200 calories per day, but I never eat taht much food, so I just count my carbs. my snack usually 1/4 cup plain yogurt mixed with fresh fruit like couple strawberries and couple of grapes, or drink milk. It's all about portion control, you can still eat the things you like, but it might not be full and you have to measure almost everything, but you'lll get use to it. add me as friend if you have more questions.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 12:23 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I had a low carb diet. breakfast was under 30 carbs, lunch and dinner were under 60. They had me eat 3 snacks a day and those were under 15. You just have to count the carbs in anything you eat. Its annoying at first but once you get used to it it isnt so bad :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:05 PM on Sep. 17, 2010