Starting a christian living...HELP

I want to start a new living with Christian values and I don't know where to start or what to do. I started looking for a church and I know i bring God into my life everyday. Have any ideas?

Augusta

Asked by Augusta at 1:35 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• i'm jewish...but when i decided to convert, i started out by asking my rabbi for books to read and i talked to a lot of members of the synagogue. i'd imagine it'd be the same in a christian faith.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 1:37 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Surround yourself with people of a similar mind-set. You may want to "church-shop" for a bit until you find one that fits you. If you are not into a particular denomination, try a non-denominational church. Not all churches or christians are created equal. It is mostly important to keep seeking out people that will encourage your personal walk with God.

Learn to take at least 10 minutes or so each day to "steep yourself in scripture". Read a few verses or a few chapters and meditate on what God is teaching you. Pray regularly and develop a relationship with God as if He is your very best friend.

Titheing (when you are ready) is an excellent way to commune with God and live a Christian life. Not because He will return it ten-fold, but because you trust Him with your most precious resouces and it is His anyway. Faith, trust, and putting others before yourself are big parts of walking the "christian life".
    WyndenSkie

Answer by WyndenSkie at 1:47 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I think tat surrounding myself with people with the same mindset is the toughest thing for me right now. So many people that I was/am friends with dislike God and his teachings. Its really sad to see and if I speak of God I have everyone put me down and I have no one to talk to besides my husband.

Plus sounds I censor certin things from my daughter and myself? Like music or movies etc?
    Augusta

Comment by Augusta (original poster) at 1:54 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Try to find a place that teaches the scripture which is your foundation and about the spirit which is your true friend. Learn to pray the scriptures. I recommend "Prayers That Avail Much" volumes 1-3, it's one book now. Remember everything that you need you can ask God for. If you need a church ask God to help you find just the right church where he wants you to be. If you need friends or a mentor ask God to send one to you. He will lead you, follow Him.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 2:42 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Finding a church is a great start. Daily prayer and finding ways to help those in need by volunteering some of your time are also important.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:41 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Jesus taught, "If your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away from you. It is better for you to lose a part of your body than for your whole body to be cast into hell." Matthew 15:30

The people you have around you usually do not like to deal with what they "think" christianity means, and that will cause them to ridicule you until you "get back to your senses" and act as you always have. Is that better for you to follow them? You may have to make some hard decisions about the people who would bring you down.

As your friends begin to see that a real change has begun in you, some will see that as evidence that God is not smoke and mirrors. You would become a testimony to your friends of the healing and awesome nature of God. Then they would see you and your faith in a different light and cut you some slack or even re-examine faith themselves. That probably will not happen for a while though.
    WyndenSkie

Answer by WyndenSkie at 6:28 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• read your bible daily or do a devotional, listen to christian music. Get some new friends that have the same mindset and believe the same things as you do. these people will uplift you instead of your friends now that will put you down. to follow Christ, there will be some hard things to do, get rid of old friends, if your family doesn't believe then you will have to overcome that as well. i'm not saying don't talk or fellowship with them, you're just going to have to stand your ground alot harder. after you've found a church, and have been there for a little while, talk with the pastor or someone in leadership and see if you can do a work for the Lord in the church, like help in sunday school, childrens church, youth, nursery, ect...some kind of ministry they have.

just remember, it's alot easier for someone to pull someone off a ladder, than to pull someone up. GL!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:16 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Hello, Congrats! You are on a journey of a lifetime and I want to encourage you have made a worthy choice and one that you will not regret.

There is some wonderful online literature to help you understand who God is, and help you implement the bible into your every day living. I would encourage you to read the first four gospels, as Jesus word helps us in our daily living, I am actually doing a podcast study entitled ' A Study in His Word' on blog talk radio. so if you would like some help or encouragement in your walk, please just let me know.

I understand what you are going through because I searched for God on my own. It was a hard process to find people and a place of belonging, but the only place you need to concentrate on staying, or being comfortable in is in the presence of the Lord!

You are not alone, and if you need someone to talk with or fellowship with I am always here for you!
    God Bless you!
    shannonGilmour

Answer by shannonGilmour at 8:19 PM on Sep. 17, 2010