how do you handle temper tantrums with a special needs child?

My son is 5.5 yrs old. He is special needs (nonverbal(talks but far and few between),can't walk without assistance. He has been in school for 4 yrs now. Tantrums when he first started 4 yrs ago but stopped after 1 or 2 days spent in principal's office. Haven't had an issue with his current teacher til now. His tantrums are increasing this year. Exspecially this week! Don't know what is causing them other than it has to do with something or someone in the school. He was fine when school started this year aug.11. But the last 3 weeks he has been having tantrums. Already got principal involved and teacher. I am Stumped. He hasn't had any tantrums in months at home. Just only when he is at the school. Can anyone help?

willysmama

Asked by willysmama at 2:22 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't have a special needs child, but I would try and sit down and talk to him, to see what is making him so upset. Try and calm him down with something that you know calms him down.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 7:21 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• What is his Dx ? Can the teacher tell before (my son has autism I can tell befor ehand when he is in sensort overload before he has a melt down I can do things to stop it or at least make it not so bad ) the tantrum starts so she can maybe help to stop it or at least make is less. Does it happen at the same time of day? Does he commuicate well with the use of a computer so he could tell you what is going on? Does he have a 1:1 aide? Have there been any med changes or diet changes? Does he go to OT or PT ? does he have a IEP or 504 plan?
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 12:09 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Something may be overwhelming him, can you sit in on his class for a day? If the teachers see the triggers they need to be more proactive in explaining to him whats going on and how he should be acting.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 12:40 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• traumatic brain injury,cp, cortical blindness are his diagnosises. yes it happens at 10 am all this week. he communicates with sign languare, and through a series of blinks. No never needed 1. No meds other than flintstone vitamins(takes them at nite on a full tummy). He has OT&PT inside and outstide the school. PT outside is waiting for approval from medicaid(been waiting for 3 months though). He has an IEP but nothing on there geared towards behavior because it hasn't been an issue til this year.
    willysmama

Comment by willysmama (original poster) at 12:43 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• no they don't want me to at this point. They think he will see me and just keep throwing them. Got a advacate involved this week for some help because whatever i say doesnt seem to be sinking in
    willysmama

Comment by willysmama (original poster) at 12:46 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• what is on his schedule at 10 am or right befor ethen. Could that be a trigger??
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 1:02 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• at 8:30 its breakfeast at school. At 9:30-its circle time. At 10 i have no idea. But lunch is at 11:00
    willysmama

Comment by willysmama (original poster) at 7:28 PM on Sep. 18, 2010