Why do people ask for advice when they don't want it?

People ask for advice....like "What should I do?" Then when you tell them, they don't do it. Why is that?

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 2:39 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• Because people ultimately do not want the help, they want to be told that they are right, the other person is wrong, they want to be validated.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 2:41 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Because they are looking for ego stroking.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:41 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I don't know but I was wondering the same thing about people that tell you they are going to do something and then don't----like "I'll call you Thursday" That really ticks me off when I arrange my day for someone to call or show up and then they don't. I don't know where people get off thinking their time is more valuable than mine!!!!!! Sorry to blow off steam.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:42 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Maybe they want insight or other opinions but to ultimately make their own decision.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 2:49 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• SweetLoveofMine, I totally understand what you're saying! Lately it seems I've been doing that a lot. The person will say, "Oh sorry, I spaced it out?" One woman said, " I'll be over at 11am" The time came and went. When I called, after waiting for an hour, the phone was turned off. When I talked to her the next day, she said, " Oh, sorry, I fell asleep" I said, " You thought enough to turn off the phone but couldn't take a minute to call?" Too much... Not that I want to put an age limit on it, but so far its been those in their twentys and thirtys. Maybe they're so overwelmed they haven' quit figured out how to use a DayTimer....LOL
    Prayerpartner

Comment by Prayerpartner (original poster) at 3:10 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Well because people do not need to do what you tell them and perhaps your advice was not what they want to do? People ask for advice yes but that does not mean they need to follow it. They might just want to hear what others think before they do what they want.
    DeansMother

Answer by DeansMother at 3:38 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• People want to hear opinions on what to do but ultimately if it isn't what they want to hear they aren't going to take your advice.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:10 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Often they know what they think they should do, they just want reinforcement.
    crazycappuccino

Answer by crazycappuccino at 7:34 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• we are all here to learn life lessons
    sometimes a person has to take the class a 2nd or even a third time

they ask, get answer, but follow the same path as before, get the same wrong result and have to live that situation again, ask again for answer and then...
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:39 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Because they dont really wanto the advice and really dont want to follow anothers advice. They ask, so they can say they asked. And then they can point out to themselves they are still right regardless of the advice received
    simplyme01

Answer by simplyme01 at 12:00 PM on Sep. 17, 2010