what do you expect out of a preschool, and what should your child know going into kindergarten?

katieGrace

Asked by katieGrace at 2:48 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Mine didn't go to preschool. He is in kindergarden now. I wanted him home with me and I'm glad I did it too because I've taught him far more than what preschool does. Kindergarden sent the summer before a list of what they expected kids to practice the whole summer before the first day and I literally laughed hysterically because ds knew how to do all of it with the exception of shoe tieing. There was about 12 things on the lst. Some of them were;take care of bathroom needs, recognize the basic colors, recognize the basic shapes. recognize numbers 1-10, count to 20, recite the ABC's without singing them, Write full name with correct Capital and lowercase letters, use scissors correctly, hold crayon and pencil correctly. My dd is 2 and do you know she can do all of that minus the scissors, writing name and bathroom needs?
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:36 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Mine didn't know anything not even speech. But they should help with speech, social behaviors, sharing, abc's and 123's, songs, how to write there name, the classroom rules, crafts, and I think that's all. My sons preschool does slot of different things in circle time so over my sons head and some right one his level.
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 5:36 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I expect preschool to help get my child ready for kindergarten. I practice numbers, letters, etc. with her on a daily basis...preschool continues this. She's only 3 and can do everything on sweeloveofmine's list except for tie her shoes (her favorites are slip on's and velcro sneakers), and write her name.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:38 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I'm not sending my son to preschool, I don't think.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 7:19 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• We send our children to a wonderful preschool program. They learn all the basics but the most important is learning to follow instructions, learning to share, stand in line, raise your hand and being able to play well with others. It's also been a great way for us to meet other parents with kids the same age. We were in a play group but the structured environment of preschool has been wonderful. They look forward to it and they get to go on field trips, make crafts and they are even doing show and tell (great for speaking skills).
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 8:26 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My son attends private preschool and it is a wonderful program/curriculm they use. My son starting at 3 years old learned to write/spell his full name, count to 100, count by 10's to 100, basic math skills, basic reading, colors, cut out shapes and letters, know the difference and write capital and lower case letters, follow a routine that is more structured, share, socialize, take turns, write 2-3 word sentences, friendship, teamwork,etc. For example my son's class just made homemade amish friendship bread. They have been working on this for 10 days. The lesson was about patience,friendship, teamwork. He goes on fieldtrips, he was in a parade last night for our town with his school, etc. They do so much that I can't imagine not sending him to preschool. He loves it!!!!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 2:16 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Also...My son's preschool caught that he had minor speech delay. Had know idea. They tested him and realized when he strings words together to make full sentences, he often does pronounce every word correctly. At 4 years he should be able to do this. I can't imagine him going to kindergarten and this happen.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 2:19 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Basically to learn school settings. Rules; discipline in sitting down; learn to be with other children in large settings; to ask for permission by raising hand and that the teacher was there to help them in the education process.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 2:49 PM on Sep. 17, 2010