How do you keep your toddler from leaving his bedroom at night and getting into things in your home?

My 3 and half year still sleep in our room cause there's a lock on it that we lock after the last person comes to bed. We are turning his playroom into a real bedroom for his 4th birthday but this is a huge concern for me. Gates and stuff will not be able to stop him but we have thought about doing a half door and lock the bottom part but leave the top part open. I don't know if someone can give me ideas that would be great.

Mind you my son is speical needs POS autistic.

whoreallycares

Asked by whoreallycares at 4:46 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I like the double door idea. Just make sure there's nothing he can climb on to try to get over. My 3 year old also roams. Luckily for me the new home we are moving to has it to where in order for him to get anywhere other than the bathroon, he has to walk through my room. So I can catch him before hand.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 4:54 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• replace the doorknob with a lockable one and put the lock on the outside of the door so you can lock him in for his own safety?
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:26 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Reign- that is great about your new house layout I would love that. I've actually asked my husband to put a doorway between the rooms since they are next to but it would take way from the limited wall space we already have. So seems like the half door idea isn't stupid. I was worried it was.
    whoreallycares

Comment by whoreallycares (original poster) at 5:32 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• We have a gate in the hallway between the bedrooms and the rest of the house. If she comes out of her bedroom she only has access to the the other bedrooms and the bathroom. We live in the country with a rather large pond so we needed to keep her access to the outdoors blocked (we have 4 exits to the outside).
    weeblette

Answer by weeblette at 5:54 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• That is a good idea. So you can hear him at night.

Answer by louise2 at 5:54 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Double door is a great idea.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 7:18 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• When you mentioned the autism, I know where you are coming from - Miss V is 5 - she is non-verbal and can climb over everything. We have installed two doorway gates on her stacked on bedroom door. They are installed, not the tension mount - she figured out the pressure mount gates a very long time ago. The outside doors have deadbolts (keyed) and chain locks. I routinely lock three things on the exit doors and count as I do as a reminder not to forget one of the locks. Another idea I've heard lately is to hang a bell at the top of the door - the ones like you see in smaller shops to alert the clerk you entered (or left) the store. That would be just another layer. I feel for you - I really do!! We have to lock Miss V OUT of things as well - pantry, fridge, etc. Good Luck!!
    Nebraskaoma

Answer by Nebraskaoma at 10:24 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I think the double door is a good idea. Something more secure than a gate, but that will allow you to hear him if he is up.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:18 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Try a doorknob protector. You can get them at any baby store and some hardware stores. That solves the problem for us. Kids don't have the hand strength and size to get them open. They're easy to put on too. (Note: You may need to add a layer of duct tape on some because a really determined child can pull it apart. Our son did it once but never did it again so it's also possible we simply didn't have it together quite right.)
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:17 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Oh my son master door knob protectors by the time he was 2 and yes using just his hand he can open them.
    whoreallycares

Comment by whoreallycares (original poster) at 3:03 PM on Oct. 1, 2010