Do Mormons REALLY not drink?

or do they do so behind closed doors like the rest of us? ;) or around people who don't know they are Mormon (even if they did people wouldn't care unless they were Mormon too).

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 5:17 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Having been raised Mormon, I've 1st hand experience. Things might have changed some since I left. The vast majority didn't drink. Some gave in to pressure when it was work related or say at an event where they are the only Mormons present (there is strength in numbers). Those that drank generally didn't announce it to the church, but were honest with and accountable to leaders. A rare few openly drank. Drinking alone was apparently not grounds for excommunication, but these few were not given positions in church (not active members). However, being drunk, or getting arrested would bring discipline. Rarest of all were those that did as you suggest; said one publicly thing but did something else privately.
    Among kids, well, teens will be teens; I don't think I ever met a Mormon boy that didn't sneak a drink once before adulthood (myself included). I think there were some girls that never did. They kept to their upbringing though
    thismamacooks

Answer by thismamacooks at 2:59 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I know a lot of people who don't drink. Some of them happen to be Mormon. Why would Mormon's be less capable of abstaining than anyone else?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:49 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• there are probably some that do that, but I am sure the majority really follow their beliefs on not drinking, because it is something they truly believe in not doing.

Sparrow4

Answer by Sparrow4 at 5:46 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Eh we all have our weaknesses. I know some that do but it's not like they go to church often enough to consider them active participants in the religion.
    Ameliamomo2

Answer by Ameliamomo2 at 5:47 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Well, we are human, so I am sure there are some who do. Personally, DH and I do not drink, ever. Before coming back/converting(for DH) we did drink. But have both been sober since becoming active in the church.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 7:16 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Like all other groups- some do, some don't....
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:16 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Like Ren Ren said. If you are a true follower of the religion you don't drink. It is in our Word of Wisdom not to drink. That is a basic set of health codes that when we are baptised into the church, we are expected to follow. You will not be excommunicated for not following it or anything, but you cannot enter the Temple unless you do. There is no Mormon police that comes to your home to check or anything though,lol. So it is up to the individual Member.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 10:15 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• The people that take their religion seriously dont do it at all.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 11:15 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Heck, I know some not Mormon that don't drink. So, I'm pretty sure a majority of them don't.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:53 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• well of course in public they are going to be model Mormons, but behind closed doors, who knows
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 7:56 AM on Sep. 17, 2010