How do I get my 2 year old to sleep past 5am?

No matter what day of the week, no matter how late she stays up or how early she goes to bed, no matter if she naps or not the day before, no matter if she drinks juice or no juice at all, no matter if she has any sugary snacks or not, or no matter if I give her benaydryl or not, she wakes up at 5am 7 days a week! Is there anything I can do?

ABPeterson

Asked by ABPeterson at 5:33 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Uhm some people are just wired to be early birds. I've always gotten up early. Always.

If your up, your up. Cant make someone sleep. We made the rule that they had to do a quiet activity till 8:00am for example. Like read or draw so we could sleep. Granted 2 is young, we couldn't do that until they were about 4.

At 2, all I can think of is having them in a safe place they can't escape from and ignoring them so they don't think mom and dad come running at their beck and call all the time.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:37 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My DD's always got up at 5 or 6 am. I just got use to it. After a while it will not bother you to wake up that early any more. Kids change you. In all different ways. Including your sleep patterns.

Answer by louise2 at 5:47 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I have always gotten up early as well. My dd will be 7 in Oct and so does she. It has gotten a little better since she started school but not much. She still will get up a lot of times at 5:30 so that she can be up with me while I get ready. I don't think there is much you can do. At 2 I could never have left dd alone because she was one that would always get into something.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 5:49 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• sorry, it's not in your control. I had a child like that. I had to learn to change my schedule and realize that I had to get up at 5 and once I did that, it didn't seem so bad. It will change as they get older and more physically active. One thing that did help was to limit any drinks past 6pm and have the room with darkening shades so it wasn't so bright. but, it will take time, good luck
    cardinal58

Answer by cardinal58 at 11:01 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Just tell her to go back to sleep. My son did that for a while and it was crazy... but I just stopped getting up with him. I told him it was still night time and to go to sleep... and now he sleeps until 8-9.
    You might want to get a toddler alarm clock... they usually have 2 pictures... one that means it's still night time and one that means it's okay to get up. OR you could use a regular alarm clock and set it at first for 5:30 and tell her she can't get up until the music plays... then gradually set the time back until 7 or 8.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:29 AM on Sep. 18, 2010