What to do about my Aspie Child with Anger Issues as far as schooling

in middle school
does not get along with peers, they pick at him knowing he'll lose it and get a reaction,
son has already broken school property, matter of time before its a person

He's mentally immature, a couple yrs behind his physical yrs and the kids don't understand that and find his childish reactions funny.

I think he should just do homeschooling or specialized somehow away from his peers until his peers can outgrow their own immaturity.

He gets along fine with adults or at home

I'm not condoning sheltering him, but I don't feel he's at that level yet where he can cope in a mature way. He doesn't even try.

He does get therapy and meds.

Your thoughts?

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 6:29 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Is there a local private school that you could put him in that would have smaller class sizes and less of the teasing problems because the teachers aren't as overwhelmed? I know this helped with a friend of mine when her son was moving on to middle school as an Aspie child.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:15 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Can you get him into a special needs class? They should have one that he can get into and maybe everything will stop.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 7:24 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• He is already :-)

They still like to integrate them with the other kids. Not that its working out for him. They just see my son as a daily comedy routine to get worked up. The other Sp Needs kids are also a part of the teasing problem.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 7:46 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• School is good for interacting with peers and learning social skills.
    However constant teasing makes school something you once looked forward to to something you dread.
    Instead of being social, makes the person more introverted and anti-social to some degree.
    If a person get enough negativity, it can turn them into a very bitter negative person as an adult. Something they never get over that they attribute to ho they were treated growing up at school.

Part of me feels had I feel shielded from jerks, maybe I'd have evolved into a different, less pessemistic person myself. I dunno.
    They're such good boys and can't help how they react sometimes. The kids their age don't understand and just see them as something to have fun with.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 7:54 AM on Sep. 17, 2010