Free clothing exchange. Would you participate in a free clothing exchange at your preschool?

My granddaughter outgrows her clothes daily. I would like to get together with the preschool parents and do an exchange. How would you feel about this?
I also think it would give an opportunity for the parents to meet while the kids are in school.

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 6:30 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

• There's a group near me that has a children's toy and clothing sale at the fire hall twice a year. When my kids were little, I used to go all the time. Boys jeans for $3.00, even got my daughter a beautiful Easter dress that looked like it had never been worn before and only paid $10. But I know they have a whole system for doing it. You have to take your clothes over a week before, everything is priced, the women in charge look over everything and say yes or no depending on the quality, and a percentage of your sales goes to the group unless you volunteer so much time to help. I think it would be a good thing for a preschool but you'd have to have 4-5 women willing to take it on.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 2:06 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• It only works well if there is groundrules in place about how much you bring, what you can get in return, and how things will be priced. As well who gets to pick what and when. We do a sports equipment one here anyone can bring the equipment then it is given a value by the coaches and you are given credit for that amount. The day of the sale everyone donates 5 bucks or so to the team hosting the sale and it is run auction style with people allowed to bid up to the amount they brought in exchange. If you dont have equipment to trade you can buy money but you pay a higher rate for it. Also the money can be used to buy other stuff that day like food and school items and other stuff people donate to be sold. It is a fundraisor for the school teams each team taking a turn to host.
    steveiguana

Answer by steveiguana at 7:51 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Wow, so complicted. Means someone has to do a lot of work.
    I just wanted to take my things put them out and pray someone else can get some use out of them.
    tootoobusy

Comment by tootoobusy (original poster) at 7:55 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• no because a lot of people do not take care of their stuff
    vlester

Answer by vlester at 9:44 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I'd be a little squemish about it just because you don't know about the cleanliness of their home. We don't smoke or have pets so I wouldn't want clothing from the home of a smoker or a pet owner. So, yes, you would definately need guidelines to put everyone's mind at ease and make it as legit as possible.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:01 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I think I will stick with Freecycle. I just put it on the internet and they respond if they need it and come and pick it up off the porch. No problems.
    tootoobusy

Comment by tootoobusy (original poster) at 2:40 PM on Sep. 17, 2010