if your kids have bunk beds...

do you still worry about them sleeping on the top bunks? My son likes to sleep up top here recently and there is a small maybe 1/2 a foot wooden piece to keep him from rolling off...i worry though cuz he tosses and turns in his sleep (like me.) When i was a kid i would sleep walk and when i had bunk beds i couldnt sleep up top because i would fall down from sleep walking. I've used the lids to some storage tubs that we have to slide down between the matress and the wooden rail but last night he knocked it out tossing around...i almost had a heart attack when i heard it hit the floor. He loves sleeping up there so much though. Am i just being over paranoid or does anyone have any suggestions at what else i can use? Should i just force him to sleep on the bottom bunk and be a big ole meany? I really want to ...but my dh keeps saying i need to let him out of his "bubble"...

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 7:40 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son has a loft bed so basically it is JUST a top bunk, it kind of has a 'fort' underneath. I got it at IKEA and it has a 'tent' that goes over the top that we used for a long time when he fisrt got it because he was only 3. Now he is 6 and we have since abandoned the tent. He has only actually fallen out once and it was not during sleeping but during a melt-down.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:47 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My son started at age 5..his had a big side on it..I never really worried.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:50 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• If your that worried you could buy a side rail that are usually used for when you move a toddler into their own bed, they are usually a little taller then 6 inches and might give you peace of mind. My daughter sleeps on the top bunk and she moves all over so far without problems.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 8:00 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Mine were older (7 & 11) when they were on the top bunk-- and with the wood sides they did not fall out.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:00 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My boys have bunk beds. One side is against the wall and the open side has a rail that is as tall at the header and footer. No one has fallen out.... then again they are 16 & 17 and have been sleeping in this set up since their brother was born 6 years ago. If they fall out now, I'm thinking it because they are being morons in there!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 8:07 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My 10 year old has bunk beds. He got them when he was 4. I never worried about him or his younger sister who used to "spend the night" with him on weekends when they were little. My brother got some when he was 3 and nobody ever fell out of his either.

Answer by missanc at 9:48 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• A girl I know had bunk beds for her older kids. Her 3 yr old climbed to the top, fell off and broke his neck. Luckily he will be ok, but he has been in a halo for over 6 weeks.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:07 PM on Sep. 17, 2010