Whining... constantly

My almost-2-year-old whines. Constantly. He's a "drama-king" and is pretty sensitive. If I tell him no, it's all out crying. Should I just put him in time-out for whining? Tips for constant whiners at this age? (Note, he was a pretty sick kid with various allergies until 18 mos, so he's used to extra attention)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:51 AM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it is their job-lol
    and whinng works, so they do it
    try try try to ignore, and if you give in once then they will try the whine again and again because they know it works
    ignoring is hard!
    my daughter has had major tantrums and we had to ignore
    and when she asks for things then i response right away to encourage communication

she has autism so communication is quite hard and tantrums are quite easy-lol
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:20 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I really think that the whining is a way to keep you close. I wouldn't go as far as putting him in time out but, basically trying to make him understand that your not going to talk to him until he uses his words. Also with the word "no" seems to be a trigger so, try not to use it all the time.. instead tell why you are saying no.
    Dariensmom1

Answer by Dariensmom1 at 10:14 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• How well does he speak?
    When DS gets like this I just say " Man I can hear a voice but I cant understand what it is saying it sounds so whinny" then I go on doing what I was doing. Normally he gets the hint and switches over to talking normally
    Nicsone

Answer by Nicsone at 1:02 PM on Sep. 17, 2010